1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My Boss V is slow

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by stroker79, Jan 17, 2007.

1. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

It worked great the last storm but the temps were in the low teens/single digits last night and as I was putting the plow away I noticed that it was responding slow. For example, since its a V, I had it all the way up just so I could see the plow in the cab and if I angle the right side back it responds quickly and when I let go of the button the right wing stops almost instantly. However, on the left side of the plow, starting in the straight position if I angle it back towards me it responds right away but when I release the button on the controller the left side coasts alot until it stops. Even if I just quickly press/release the button, it will go almost all the way back. The right side is fine however.

While its not too annoying Id like to see if there is an easy adjustment that I can do to fix this. I can live with it but if its an easy fix then Id like to do that. This is a brand new 8.2 V rt3 and was only used on this last storm. Im not sure if this is a cold issue or not. any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Also wanted to add that the place I bought it from is very far away so the delaer isnt a possibility unless adjustments are covered under warranty by all dealers. Hopefully I will not have to do that and its just an easy fix.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Being an almost new install,the first thing to do is check the fluid level. After using a new plow a time or two all the air sound be out of the system so it might need topped off. Check it with the plow mounted on the truck and both wing's retracted into the V position. Also, when the left wing is out will it hold that position? Or have you noticed it creeping back at all?

3. stroker79

Ill check the fluid level. The dealer gave an extra quart just in case.

The left wing will hold its position once its stopped.

4. GA73

GA73 Member

mine doing the same. a buddy who works for boss said there having some problems with some early production plows that they put a baffle in the oil resivour. is it leaking fluid out the vent?

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Could be a defective valve also. If the spring inside the valve is broken then the spool wont return to it's closed position the instant you let go of the button. Seen that on a few Boss's.

6. stroker79

Its a brand new plow but im not sure what year it is. No fluid is leaking at all

Where is the valve. I know snowplows are a pretty simple device but i have never messed with one before so I am not aquianted with the parts at all and where they are located. Im wondering if I can take this to a local dealer and have them look at it if its a know defective part. Thanks for your help so far, I appreciate the time!

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Here's a pic of your valve manifold. I circled the valve that control's the "left wing in" function.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
  8. stroker79

Nice, its an electrical part. Im totally unfamiliar with hydraulics.

Anyway, Im going to check it out when it gets a tad bit warmer. Thanks for the help

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

LOL! Don't let it scare you, if you end up changing the valve yourself their easy to do. We'll walk you through it.:)

10. GA73

GA73 Member

what i meant was this years earlier production

11. mojob

mojob Member

Make sure the plow is on the ground and in the vee position before working on it. You probably knew that already, though.