1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My Boss dealer didn't trim my air dam - help please!

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by procutsnow, Dec 9, 2010.

1. procutsnow

procutsnow Member

Hello, when my dealer did the install they pulled the lower small valance and left it off which is fine but they just installed the plow mount and "wedged" or pushed back the air dam/license plate mount up under the bumper. I asked why they didn't trim the air dam and the tech said that "Boss dosen't want us to".

Frankly it looks terrible, I can see the dealer not wanting to hack up a new truck but I'm not happy with it the way it is.

I'm thinking of trimming it myself, any suggestions. I am pretty skilled at cutting - cabinet and furniture making but am a little nervous about how I should go about this. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Just trim about a inch off each side of the hooks on the valance. If you have a metal blade on a sawzall, jig saw, or a angle grinder just run that on it. I would say a hack saw would do it but its not fast enough and the valance will flex back and forth and give you more grief than anything with it doing that.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  3. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

I had the same problem with my ford. I just drove up to the plow and marked where I needed to cut and took a tin snips and made my cuts. Probably a better way but that seemed to work out great for my application.
  4. procutsnow

procutsnow Member

Perfect, I have all of the above. Air grinder with a cut off disc would probably work well, I guess we'll find out tomorrow!

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

That air grinder would work the best. Its small enough and not bulky.
  6. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

I started with a half inch on each side but when I would drive into the plow it would bind up on the plow side mount so I made it wide enough for it to fit with out hitting the valance I guess that part is up to you.
  7. bigc1301

bigc1301 Senior Member

Anyone have pics of this i am trying to decide if i want to put it back on or leave it off
  8. watatrp

watatrp Senior Member

Think about this, I sold a truck where the valence was pushed up. The buyer did not want the plow. Took me about a half hour to get the plastic to go back into place with some heat after I took the plow mount off but it looked fine. Can't do that if you cut it up. Had another truck where I just took it off. I liked the look of it pushed up better.
  9. pitrack

pitrack Senior Member

I just ripped the whole damn thing off on mine:D
  10. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

I just took my time with my dremel, about an hr and I looked like I was in a black plastic blizzard!