1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My big one

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by gobblet, Jan 9, 2010.

1. gobblet

gobblet Junior Member

Sorry about the title. Did not know my post( HIgh or Low) was still around. Used Low the whole time, did not smell anything (belt) answer is use low and take your time like your mother would say! 10-12 inches plowed but I cut it in half.

img_0126.jpg

img_0128.jpg

img_0131.jpg

img_0133.jpg

2. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

Nice quad, I always use high with my quad to plow. I have never had an issue. I feel it plows better in high.

3. gobblet

gobblet Junior Member

Nice... We got some internet conflict going on! lol

4. MtnCowboy

MtnCowboy Member

They really do work well, don't they? I think your 800 would push 18 inches at whatever speed you want. I plowed today, up to 30 mph on a 660 in high gear, no problem.... that I know about. I did spin out when the blade caught a hard snowbank on a curve. Backing out, and uphill, the Grizzly struggled a bit and there was a howl. It stopped when I broke free so I'm just going to pretend it didn't happen. It might have been the push tubes scraping rock, since the plow was over the road edge. If I hear it again I'll have it looked at.

Anyway, you'll encounter all kinds of conditions, get a feel for how your 800 handles each one of them and adjust plowing style as necessary. You can't go wrong going slow.

5. leroyh

leroyh Junior Member

that is because arctic cat has one of the best clutch setups ( yamaha is just about the same ) :cool: i always plow in high

6. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

yep in which we can conclude arctic cat is the best :p haha j/k ya I dont think I ever used low on my quad. even pulling the boat I use high and dont have an issue.

7. Alpha Property

Alpha Property Senior Member

using low in my 05 honda 500 rubicon is a must

8. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

why is that????

9. Alpha Property

it won't push or pull worth a dam in high, even to push start my buddys 360 winged sprint car it has to be in low.

10. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

is it fully warmed up????????? does it seem like it's slipping

11. Sportsman500??

Sportsman500?? Member
    from PA

OP: is that sportsman a 500?
    Just ignore me: its a 800

12. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

that's a honda for ya, last in technology and under powered

13. fsstnotch

fsstnotch Junior Member

I also plow with an 800 sportsman. I have 30" tires on mine so Low is an absolute must for plowing. But i can plow anything I want, and I don't get stuck ever. I have a 650H1 also, but it is used for trails and mud only, also has 30's. I have been tossing the idea around about getting tracks for the 800, I do alot of winter riding and they'd be awesome, but I think I'm going to buy a plow for the truck instead. The area I plow takes a long time with a wheeler, if we get a foot before I plow. Where it would take 20 minutes with a truck, it takes 90 with the wheeler.

I've plowed with an 08 sportsman 500 and now an 08 800 and they both will burn the belt in high pushing heavy snow. But then Polaris recommends only high above 10mph.

14. Alpha Property

The honda also has big ITP mud lite radials and ITP rims and its got a 3 inch lift....and a 5ft blade
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  15. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

Alpha, you need a new wear bar on that thing.

16. nhgranite

nhgranite Senior Member
    from N.H

always plow in low. just because you "can" plow in high doesn't mean your cvt will like it. my king does over thirty m.p.h in low and adds a little torque to the push.

17. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

A little off topic, but you wouldn't happen to know Glen Styres would ya

18. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

BS....I had an old 125 Honda Fourtrax & that ****** would push a 2,900 lb latemodel race car no problem

19. skywagon

skywagon Senior Member

I agree totally but Kiss is a friggan idiot lol!!!!:laughing::laughing:

20. Alpha Property

I do indeed know him, he wouldn't know me but i've spoken with him a few times. He ownes Oshweeken Speedway and now the Rochester American's Hockey team. I have a few friends that race on his track and i'm up there atleast once a month all summer