1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My bent BOSS

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Midwest BuildIt Inc, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

straight side

IMG_0349.JPG

2. Midwest BuildIt Inc

not so straight side

IMG_0350.JPG

3. Midwest BuildIt Inc

4. Midwest BuildIt Inc

from the side

IMG_0354.JPG

5. Midwest BuildIt Inc

6. Midwest BuildIt Inc

and what my head lights look like after hitting a manhole cover

IMG_0351.JPG

7. Midwest BuildIt Inc

did i mention that the plow is not centered on the truck any more. and i replaced both scraper edges. and one marker.

8. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

You better get it all fixed before it snows again. :( My axle shaft is finally getting fixed today. :redbounce

9. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Dang BNC! You're lucky you didn't become a hood ornament. Looks like a pretty hard hit.

Buck

10. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Actually the hit that bent the blade was not that hard , maybe 5-7mph, and i only cought the corner of a curb. But the manhole cover that cracked my scraper edge and threw out my lights(apperantly the plow liked them as much as i did,they never worked good) , well i think i can still see the steering wheel imprint on my chest.

11. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Well if the other stuff wasnt enough , i just ran to get some cigaretts and noticed this, must have been from this morning when i was plowing a lot that i normally dont plow. I was pushing a pile back when what do i find inside of it, a concrete parking block.

IMG_0356.JPG

12. Midwest BuildIt Inc

another view, when is this bad luck going to end???

IMG_0357.JPG

13. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Dude, that's unbelievable, I might consider taking the winter off, this may be some sort of sign for you. :(

14. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

Is your hydraulic breakout force set to high or did the blade bend when it was folded in already. Whenever I hit something with the outside edge of my Boss V the wing will break away with not much effort. But it holds steady 100% of the time during normal plowing. I have to agree though, that manholes are the worst!

15. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I did the SAME thing back in 1997 or so. Season after I bought the BOSS V. Plowing a street, hit a manhole cover with the inboard wing at maybe 10-12 mph with 3K lbs of salt in the bed. Mine was much worse.. ..Wouldn't even scrape clean in several positions.

I needed the following:

2 blade halfs
    2 cutting edges
    T-Frame
    Center section
    2 coupler latches

Boss stood up to the plate and offered me these parts at their cost.

From that point on, I stopped plowing streets and understood and respected the plows ability to trip and not trip.

Just a note....The newer BOSS V's with the diagonal blade strut ribs apparently prevent this from happening.

The earlier BOSS boxed moldboards were very easy to tweak.....My newer one is built MUCH stronger than the old one.

Is your cutting edge on the ground in all positions? If so, your lucky.

16. Tom Smith

Tom Smith Senior Member
    from IL

doesnt the boss V have a trip edge like the western ?

17. Midwest BuildIt Inc

I was in the v position , it folded back the wing , then bent the plow.

TLS , my plow scrapes in all positions great after a little straightining , i also had my brother inlaw weld a 2" crack that showed up by the center hinge and also underneath wher the metal is buckled out to keep it from bending any more.

18. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

No, they do not. The entire center hinge functions like a full trip plow.

BNC,

Your lucky all is straight. As you saw by the parts I needed, there was extensive damage....I'll have to try to dig up some pictures.....Way before digital cameras. :rolleyes:

Originally BOSS told me to remove the wing, place in on the ground laying flat, and drive over it with a truck! :eek: I guess it was shortly after this that they started to design the angle strut into the blade.

19. KUJAWA RSK

KUJAWA RSK Member
    from PA

Hi BNC
    I have the new book from CPW they have the right half for your
    plow $500 to $650. They have a web site on plowsite. :drinkup:

20. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

thats a custom mod i don't want to do to my plow....i feel your pain though, i caught something sticking out of a curb last winter, stopped me pretty fast. Blade looked fine but would kinda hang low to one side whne picked up....could figure it out till i disconnected evrything durin the summer, the whole A-frame of the plow curved to one side...didnt mess anyting else up though

good luck with the rest of winter ;)