1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My Bed is falling off!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by TTA89, Dec 27, 2007.

1. TTA89

TTA89 Member

Just went outside to hook up the plow and as I was walking in the house I noticed that the space between the cab and the bed looked bigger. Upon futher inspection its moved about about an inch from where it was. Last week I put 780lbs of Sand between the Rear wheels and the Tailgate. What the heck is going on! :gunsfiring::gunsfiring:

IMG_1329_2.jpg

IMG_1330_2.jpg

IMG_1331_2.jpg

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

yeah that doesnt look too good.

3. Plowinpro03

Plowinpro03 Senior Member

umm..was the weight becoming a sledge hammer in that bed or was it secured???? Could be a lost bolt's that are coming undone and making there own little bevel in the framing...god i hate this kinda ****....b/c its not really broke..but annoying..

4. TTA89

TTA89 Member

I dunno, it drives fine and the sand doesn't move around. I looked up with a flashlight and don't see anything that looks bent or broken. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it gets worse. In the spring I'll take it to a body shop and ask them to realign it or something.

5. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

doesnt look like that big of a gap to me. sure it wasnt like that before and you didnt notice it? if you bought it used maybe it was in a wreck at some point and the bed just didnt get put back on quite right.
    only way i think you will solve this is by climbin under it.

6. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Whats the gap between the bumper and the bed look like? Are you still under warranty? If so take it to the dealer.

7. TTA89

TTA89 Member

No its out of warranty, I bought it new and no accidents. It has def shifted backwards about an inch. I'll go check the bumper spacing now.

8. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

06 and frame is out of warr?

If you happen to take it to the dealer they are going to say since it is a Duramax quad and you hung a plow on it you went over weight limit on front.

I have seen this many times on many plow trucks.

Most times it is the weight in the back end that will do it as you are plowing and stacking piles.

9. TTA89

TTA89 Member

I have 51K on it so yes its out of warranty. Techincally they can't deny me with the plow thing since its an Ext Cab and not a CrewCab but regardless I had the plow put on last week and used it for 1 storm. I think its the sand in the back of the bed that caused it to shift backwards a bit.

I looked under it and don't see anything bent or broken and it drives fine. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it gets any worse.

10. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

That doesnt look bad to me. I had a 00' Chev Crew cab that had an off center box from day one. Had it checked out by everyone but thats just how it was. I wouldnt worry about it unless it gets worse. Probably all in your head though.

11. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

If that bed shifted with only 800 lbs in it I would be looking at some real problems its only about 6 bolts that hold it on. If you don't see any bent bolts or missing bushings than look for something else like the cab or frame. I have been reading your post and you are worried about weight in the bed, our small 1/4 ton rigs top out fully loaded just under 2 tons but we have done all the under body work to support them but for a pick up not to carry 800 lbs something is wrong. The smallest pickup in the fleet carry's at least 2000 lbs in the bed with no prob.

12. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

the newer frames have a bad problem with bending frames in this area. if loaded wrong in the bed. but most of the time its from some shop lift person picking it up wrong with weight .

did you have any major weight in the back if it was in a shop on a lift in the last week or so?

i would crawl under and look for flaking paint or major buldges in the frame rails.

13. MorningDew Farm

MorningDew Farm Junior Member
    from vermont

Gm

mabe GM has fix for that specific problem?...

14. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

he never did answer the Q' about the bumper to bed spacing that is what will show if the bed has moved. the bumper should be about 1" from the bed.

the bed could be loose but not have any sheared bolt's.........go up to the back of it and push on the tailgate to see if it slides forward. the holes in the frame "perches" that hold the bed will have a slightly bigger hole but i wouldn't think it would be an inch

i don't see how the bed would've moved......but heck it made for a good thread;)

if the frame had a "bannana" in it the bed-cab gap would be signifigantly wider at the top than the bottom

EDIT: chevy's have a horrible wide gap. that's the reason for the rubber flap between the bed-cab,.......so you cant see through to the other side of the truck, i would say there is nothing wrong and you have just never noticed it before?:)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  15. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

Looks normal to me. I figured this was going to be a Dodge thread when I read the title. The only pic that looks kinda odd to me is the last one, but I think that's just the angle of the pic.

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Measure the distance between the back of the cab and the front of the bulk head...

What's the measurement?

17. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

YOUR BED LOOKS FINE TO ME...780LBS IS NOTHING!!!!I'VE HAD 4,500LBS ON MY BED AND NO PROBLEM:eek::eek::D:D

18. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I probably have had close to 4500 in my bed also. Almost blew out 2 load range D tires. A friend of mine had 7,000lbs in the back of his 3/4 cummins.

19. TTA89

TTA89 Member

The Gap just looks large but maybe I was just smoking crack that day or something. The bed to bumper gap looks fine. I have some pics from the summer before the plow and ballast was in there and It still looks about the same so I'm not worrying about it. prsport

This was taken earlier this year in Northern Cali. I dunno, I never noticed that much space before. I have been checking out other Chevy's and they all seem to look like this.

[​IMG]

This was Wyoming... I guess I'm good. Thanks for the help :)

[​IMG]

20. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

I've carried a ton of weight back there, literally, as well. I've carried more than that even. Right now as it sits there is 900lbs of sand and 1000lbs of rock salt, plus all the little odds and ends. I had a pallet of archys (33 bundles) 3 more bundles of three tabs, 4 or 5 rolls of felt paper, 4 rolls of bitchithane, a couple boxes of roofing nails, I don't remember all of it as it was only part of the stuff I needed for my roof. But the shingles alone probably weighed as much as what I got in there now. The worst thing that ever happened was actually another time when I only had 20 on a pallet and nothing else in the bed. The whole pallet had slid forward so as I was going up my driveway I gave it a little so it would slide back some. Well, I have a plastic bed liner and it slid a lot better than I thought it would. Now my tailgate doesn't shut right. For some dumb reason chevy used latches with plastic fingers on mine. My ex has a gas job a year newer with full metal latches.