1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My ballast weight project

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by mrwinter, Nov 22, 2009.

1. mrwinter

mrwinter Member
    from Boston

Hear is some pic of my latest snow related project. What I did was take a 2x12 and make a L shape box to fit in the bed of the truck. The steel plates are from an elevator counter weight they have v cuts in the ends to make it easy to move. The plates are bolted together with 5/8 threaded rod and sleeved with 3/4 PVC . Also the plates sit on a 2x3 that has been lined with 1/2 rubber. The weights are also separated with 1/8 " orange kydex. I have 700# of weight only 150# in the pic, this project cost me a can of red paint all the other materials came from work enjoy Adam

2. caddytruck89

caddytruck89 Senior Member

I use sand. It comes in bags. seems kinda dangerous to be riding arround with steel plates in your bed. A few years ago i got t-boned in my plow truck. Those sand bags where every where. I couldn't imagine if those were steel plates.
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I like it. Looks like it's pretty well secured to me
  4. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

I hope no one needs to use the elevator at work. :help::realmad:
  5. caddytruck89

Am I missing something?? It appears like the steel plates are bolted to the wood, and the wood frame is just sitting on the bed floor. I never really payed attention to securing cargo in the bed of my truck before that accident. Just some food for thought. My hitch reciever a good 70ft away 100lb sand bags 20-30ft. Not critisizing your work at all, real nice. Just seems kinda like a liability. With laysuit happy people everywhere, could you imagine if that ever flew out and hit someone. You would be living in a van down by the river
  6. mrwinter

mrwinter Member
    from Boston

Do you think the same thing when you see 1000# sander in the back of a truck? The plates are bolted together and lock into the side of the pickup bed the are used for plowing only.
  7. mrwinter

mrwinter Member
    from Boston

I love to tell people that the stairs aren't broken:waving:
  8. caddytruck89

I knew you would take it the wrong way. I am just speaking from an expirence i've had. Don't take it personal. It is a good idea, and nice work. Just not 4 me.
  9. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Hey Caddy,

I live in a van parked by a river! What's wrong with me living out of my van? You got a problem with people living out of vans? Them are fightin' words! Don't make me come down your way in my house...errr...van and give ya a beatin'! wesport

Oh, nice pic! lol :laughing:
  10. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Looks good.
  11. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I like it...I might rip the ballast idea off.

Good Job.
  12. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

Could you get me some of them weights? id be interested in that
  13. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Sounds like a good country lyric..."livin' in the van...down by the riverrr....oh yeah baybeee..." man it better snow soon...
  14. mrwinter

mrwinter Member
    from Boston

15. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Looks good, I use sand bags too.
  16. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

Its from a chris farley movie...
  17. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

put a frekin strap across that thing....a strong one at least..

I second the "flying out of bed" comment.......IT HAPPENS.....t bone the truck and you now have a 700lb projectile...

at least strap it down....................nice idea........looks very clean....

but if 700 lbs of steel came through your back window when you rear ended someone and killed you it might be worth the 20.00 strap

or if some stupid soccer mom cuts you off and that thing goes out the bed and through her mini van with 10 kids in it......well..
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  18. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

Or what if this happens? http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=90584 I agree, strap it down. I do like the idea though.

Looks simple & compact enough without having to stack a bunch of sand bags like I do. And don't worry about the people not being able to use the elevator now, they probably could use the exercise anyway! :laughing:
  19. mrwinter

mrwinter Member
    from Boston

What soccer mom is driving with 10 kids in a snow storm? maybe a skier mom with 10 kid if ,she cant see me with my 50" Whelen 9 edge god bless us all LOL:laughing: I had planed to strap (not pictured) it down but Im waiting to rob our truck driver for 3" heavy duty one. Why buy when the job supplies:D
  20. Mister Plow

Mister Plow Senior Member

It's actually from SNL. Chris Farley plays a motivational speaker.