1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My Ballast Solution

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by mwalsh9152, Jan 25, 2016.

1. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

So I have had this idea for about a year, just finally found the time and materials to make it happen.

Given that my Bronco has very limited ability to secure ballast safely, and then very little storage area with the ballast in place, I decided to build a counter weight. The tube is .250 wall 2X2, and the plate is 1.5" approx 20"X10" That a friend had laying around. All of the plates had the stock that is on top welded to them, we cut them all off though. I filled the tube, as well as the top piece with lead for added weight, probably about 60-70lbs worth. I added a 6600lb D ring to the back for winching if needed, and another small one on top for lifting.

Its not finished yet, we were going to add two more plates on top, but the cutting tip we had wasnt up for the task cutting steel that thick. So that will come later. I am estimating that it weighs approximately 250-300lbs right now. I think the final pieces will add about another 100lbs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mn-bob

mn-bob Senior Member

Looks nice i hope you never walk in to it, nice step too .

3. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

thanks, walking into it was definitely mentioned a few times while we were making it. As for a step, I may end up mounting my backup lights onto it.

4. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

That's a slick build, how much weight you going to go with?

5. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

i can see how ballast would be a problem in a bronco and why you would want some weight back there. however the biggest benefit of the bronco is its short wheelbase, and now you've added an extra 18" or so to its length. maybe it's not an issue for you, but I like to keep my truck as short as possible when plowing - I even pull the hitch out.

by the way, is that an 8 lug driveline under there?

6. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

Once its complete, it should be around 350lbs

It only sticks out about 12-13" beyond the bumper, and honestly, I never back up closer than 2-3', better safe than sorry.

And yes, those are 2005 coil sprung 8 lug axles. They pair well with the 7.3 powerstroke that lurks under the hood.

7. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

how you going to slide it in and out when you dont need it?

like the idea

8. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

there is a small D ring on top for lifting it, lifting options are the bobcat, a chin fall, floor jack, or tow truck. However, the plow almost never comes off the Bronco in the winter, so the weight can stay on it. Hell, it never even came off last summer either!

9. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

nice. a 1 ton bronco - I like it.

I too stay a safe distance when backing up, but I'm sure there are times where I've gotten awfully close where even a hitch would have been a problem.

10. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

Thankfully, the only place I need to back in is my own driveway, and I back drag by the garage doors. Only time I back up to them is why I'm parking

11. sota

sota Senior Member
    from NJ

where'd you source the lead from?

12. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

I got the lead from work.

13. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

A backup camera would be nice, if you would back up to anything......but if you can get a feel for it, then no worries.

14. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

with the back window being like 6" from the rear of the bumper, its super easy to safely back it up. I always back up with just the mirrors in everything I drive, but if I am trying to get close, I look over my shoulder in this and there it is.