1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My Ballast lol

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by blakerugg, Dec 12, 2009.

1. blakerugg

blakerugg Senior Member

Heres some pics from today, we picked up 2 pieces of granite from MA. We thought each piece weighed around 1500 lbs, but when i went to pick them up with my bobcat (rated at 2300, easily picked up 2800 before without tipping) the machine could barely lift them an inch and ended up tipping forward and balancing on the front tires. so i figure they weigh at LEAST 3k each.
  2. blakerugg

blakerugg Senior Member

ok not sure why the pics didnt post. ill try that again.
  3. blakerugg

blakerugg Senior Member

ok here we go...

4. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

That's a lot of weight! How bad is the truck squating?
  5. blakerugg

blakerugg Senior Member

heres a lil bit better pic from the side. and yeah i couldn't believe the machine wouldn't lift it, the truck sagged down at least 6-8 inches, but i really love the GM rear suspension, it was great. also all the temps in the truck stayed within normal range and we did 55 on the way home without any trouble.

6. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

i wonder how warm those back tires were...... sure looks to hold it up good for a chebby
  7. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

you have timbrens in the back? That sure holds that much wieght good! gotta love chevys!
  8. blakerugg

blakerugg Senior Member

nope no timbrens, and after today i dont see a reason to add them. the truck rarely sees this weight anyway.

and yeah, nothin but chevys for me lol :gunsfiring: :salute:
  9. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

I love the way my 2500HD holds a load in the back. Its unreal the amount of weight I have had in the back of that truck for a single rear wheel pickup truck. I have had around 4000lbs of shingles, filled the bed 1/2 full with 3/4" stone (came across the scale at exactly 9200lbs)

I think the most I had in there was a full pallet of 8"x8"x16" concrete blocks( I don't think they were lightweight) and 10 80lb bags of redi mix mortar. Not exactly sure what it all weighed but stanadard block would have been a little over 5000 pounds and lightweight block would have been right around 4000

I think the massive rear frame and spare tire hanger make it possible to easily carry loads like that. I can't imagine the much smaller ford( and dodge?) frames not deflecting under that kinda loading. I know two guys who both have f350 diesels and even they admit the rear frame on my truck is impressive.
  10. blakerugg

blakerugg Senior Member

i believe it, my gasser with the 4.10 can work just as hard as my uncles f350 7.3. and yeah, the frames on these trucks are massive. ussmileyflag
  11. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Do you have another machine to get them out with?
  12. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

Thats normal for a GM they hold teh weight awesome!

All winter long I have 3,000lbs of salt on my truck and Its levelwesportwesportwesport
  13. blakerugg

blakerugg Senior Member

they were loaded by the guy we brought them from in MA but i used my bobcat b200 backhoe to unload them. i was able to raise them up off of the bed by about an inch then we pulled the truck forward. i came up more off the ground when i tried to drive so i just carried them as low as possible to the ground and extended the hoe (didnt help) and i was able to creep over to where i wanted them. typed that fast so i hope it makes sense lol
  14. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

awww come on.........no way thats 6k in there....

here's a real 4600 in a 250 for you...90lb each...zoom in and count...each level has 4....52 or 54 total

nice load though..........reminds me of all the chevys i see broke in half at the frame from rust..LOL

15. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

pish posh to Ford's frame not taking the weight......BLA....
  16. AIMscapes

AIMscapes Member

I must say that the Chevy's do surprise me when it comes to payload capacity. I added a leaf to the rear springs this summer and what a difference. I will take some picks of my ballast for this winter............. I have 4 recycling bins filled with old railroad spikes or pieces of broken concrete. I bet it is about 1K pounds and I definitely need about 1K pounds more. I love to weigh down the back of the truck and plow in 2wd. It is much easier on the drive train and you can turn a lot tighter. Good luck with the massive ballast!
  17. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Man that Chevy is holding it good. But I'm still sold on Ford.
  18. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

I hate to rain on your parade, but those shingles only weight about 75 pounds per bundle so its more like 4,000-4,100 pounds.

Thats still a lot of wieght and your trucks holding it well. I would love to see an F150 or K1500 with over 50 bundles in the back lol
  19. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

lol did it already. Had a 96 gmc 1/2ton. But I had air bags
  20. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

my 90 f-150 doesn't even come down to level with 2000 lbs in the bed ( i've scaled it at 7400 lbs, it's 5400 empty) might help the former owner was a mason. helper springs, and coil over shocks. lol