1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

my bad - no pays

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by drmiller100, Jan 27, 2006.

1. drmiller100

drmiller100 Senior Member
    from idaho

so someone calls asking to be plowed. we are on llke push number 21 or something this year, and she had no one before me.

i thought it was on my route, but next snow figured it was in between. 14 inches, and i was late, so i skipped her.

i get this REALLY nasty voice mail saying it is a small town, and she is telling everyone she knows i'm a bad business person. So, i call her, and go out at 8:00pm on a friday night.

dig the house out. knock on the door. son in law answers. I say "50 bucks, and find someone else next time." we have no money. Grrr. put a check in the mail.
    I run into son in law tuesday. i ask him where is my money. no money.
    Today, a week later, I am crabby, and stop by, knock on the door. "I didn't get a check." We lost your phone number and address. Grrr.
    Ok, cut me a check now, and we'll both be done.
    No, I don't feel like it right now. GRRRRRRRRR.
    Ok, i'll be back in the morning.

"Don't you dare push the snow back in. My land lord is an important person at the county, adn he will BURY YOUR BUSINESS. And I'm telling all my friends not to pay you, cuz we don't have to. Surprisingly, I kept my mouth shut.

Later that day I was at the bank, looked over, and golly, there is the county courthouse.
    So, I ask to speak to her landlord. He'd never heard of me. Friendly guy. I told him I don't want trouble, but his tenant is pulling this junk.

He got MAD. Like REALLY MAD. And he was totally cool with me, but mad at the tenant.

apparently i wasn't the first person the tenant has pulled this on.

But I think I might be the last.

A new trick I figured out. Dig the snow out of the burm down the street, and stack it up in the road, on the edge, before the house in question. Make it look like some idiot person piled snow in the street. Do it right, and the next time the city/county guy comes along, he will push that right into the driveway in question.
    then the cops can't harass you for repacking them.

2. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

I Like That One

Ihave a couple of customers that are ceep as ole h-ll...One is avoiding paying for the month of january because i was only in the 2 times...another it took for ever to get paid for 1 push and i did the first one for free for that guy....NOW Yesterday i get a call from a lady customer...so she wants here drive cleaned up beforE the rain cAme and she has company coming over...So i say i will be there in less than a hour....This drive is on a very good slop...and it has scared me once before with ice under neath....shure enough i get there ...no one home... and get up there with the 4x4 loader JD WITH MY BACK DRAG SET UP and cant get to the top 20 feet of the drive...sliding all over the place...had the big gurl almost sideways at one point ...so hee--l with this i say to myself...I'm outa here
    Then i called her to let her know that there is too mucch ice uder the snow andi could go there with a bucket load of sand /salt and hand bomb it on the drive so i could get up there...HOW MUCH EXTRA FOR THE SANDING SHE ASKED... 40 BUCKS...WAY TOO MUCH SHE SAID...SAID SHE WHOULD SALT IT HERSELF AND THEN CALL ME BACK TO DOI IT A GAIN... I WAS ON LY GOING TO CHARGE HER 1 PLOW AND THE 40 BUCKS FOR SAND ...EVEN THOUGH I WHOULD HAVE HAD TO BE THERE 3 TIMES...SO TODAY STILL NO CALL FROM HER....wHAT WHOULD GUYS DO IN A CASE LIKE THIS...THERE IS NO WAY THAT YOU COULD DO THIS DRIVE WAY WITH A PICK UP THATS HAOW SCARY THIS ONE ISpayup
    lETE ERE SNOWWWWWW

3. vanwhyjr

vanwhyjr Senior Member

Sounds like its not worth the effort!! Let some lowballer do it!

4. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I have my first non-paying customer ever right now. Guy owns a house but doesnt live there, he had guys working there remodeling, so I guess he is going to rent or sell it. They were driving on the 14 inches we got at the start of the season, packed it all down until it was 6 inches of rutted ice. The workers complained to the owner and finally gave him my number they found at the corner store bulletin board. So he agrees to call me. It's the middle of the season but I started late and havent got hardly any accounts, plus it's right near my house, so I'm happy to get it. I go in and tried salting it twice when it was still cold, no effect. I dont have a sander (yet), that's what it needed. Eventually it got warm and melted off, so I didnt charge him for salting because I am Mr. Nice Guy. Then we got a few plowable storms and I plowed it and sent out a bill each time. By the third time I still havent been paid for the first time, so I call him and he says he has the second bill in front of him and the first was mailed already. BS, I think. Around this time I realized that the guys are done working there, and since the house is unoccupied, the guy has no reason to keep the driveway open. And he had the opportunity to tell me this when I called him, yet we left it that I am still plowing. So I plowed it the fourth time hoping that I'd get paid, but still nothing and I'm not plowing there anymore. Here's the kicker: since no one is living there, it doesnt hurt him if I stop showing up, like it would a regular deadbeat. So I cant even hold that over his head as a threat, like I normally would. Normally I'd send out a letter letting him know he has to pay me to keep from having his service interrupted. I'm sure now that the only reason he called me is because the workers complained, and he probably had no intention of paying me. If he had only told me up front he was only worried about it while they were working, I would have taken it on temporarily, but he had me put him on my route as a regular. What pi55e5 me off the most is I can't get back by plowing him in or leaving him unplowed. And other than calling him everyday and harassing him for the money, or mailing him more bills, there is nothing I can do to get paid. He lives an hour away so I cant really drive there and plow him in either, and if I did I'd probably get caught.

5. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

This is why I have signed contracts and every customer's credit card.

6. Bob Pro

Bob Pro Junior Member

Maybe you can put a lean on his property. Add interest and late fees. He may be planning to sell it. It usually costs about $5-$10 for a filing fee with the town clerk. That will probably get his attention.

7. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

I would go to court and file a small claims. When he gets that letter he will probably pay quicker.

8. SnowMan4U

SnowMan4U Member

Okay...not to go against the grain but I see fault on both sides here. First, you had an oppertunity (assuming you have a cell phone) to call them and tell them you are skipping them, but opted not to. Why? So then when the storm is over, even though YOU told them you would plow them and didn't, they are upset and wonder why. They have to work, they have lives. So now you go over and dig them out AFTER they leave the message and instead of speaking to them first, you dig them out and THEN hit them with "That'll be fifty bucks".

You could have saved yourself alot of trouble by giving them a REAL quote. A REAL qoute is when you KNOW where their location is and giving them a fair price for the job. But it seems you didn't even know where the driveway was. Yes, they were and are non-paying at this point but you really didn't help matters. In your entire post, I didn't recall where you apologized for skipping them.

9. drmiller100

drmiller100 Senior Member
    from idaho

in idaho for like 5 bucks you can mechanic lien the property.

puts a REAL damper on refinancing, selling the property, or anything that requires finance work.

quick search on the net indicates you can't od that in new hampshire without court order.

10. Bob Pro

Bob Pro Junior Member

Hey I put this in a different thread.

What's up with that?

11. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Funny, I swear yesterday I saw another posting in another thread that belonged elsewhere.... it had to do with Northman's plow Jeep for sale but was in a different thread. :confused:

Something funny going on here?