1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My back - up, 97 F250HD OBS

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by mpriester, Mar 19, 2014.

1. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

I have been wanting a back up for a little over a year and i finally found what i was looking for at a fair price. It needs a little work but for $2500.00 i couldn't pass it up.The pics show what it mainly need that i can see and i'm sure there will be a few things i haven't seen. I'll do the body repairs, fix a leaky cooler line, it has new brake lines, and then a good going over, the plow needs a pump motor but other than that it needs a little tlc.it has 4:10 gears with a 5.8(351). Frames good just surface rust and no breaks. If anyone has any advice on things to look at hard i'm all ears.
    Thank You
    Mike

IMG_1108.JPG

IMG_1109.JPG

IMG_1110.JPG

IMG_1112.JPG

IMG_1113.JPG

2. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

more pics

Here are some more of it.

IMG_1114.JPG

IMG_1115.JPG

IMG_1116.JPG

3. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Looks like a good deal for the mileage and condition. Seems in decent nick besides that rocker panel and possibly the floorboards. I'd replace the rocker panel, sand and paint that cab corner, and be good to go.

4. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

The floor boards will be replaces as well, the passenger side is in good shape. One good thing is i have all summer to work out any problems that pop up and i'm sure they will. Who knows i may paint the whole truck one day.

5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Think I saw that truck on CL before. Where did you pick it up?

6. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

it was on craigslist. Ruffsdale, Pa.

7. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Great plow trucks. The rust is what kills them before their time.
    Check the TTB front axle for cracks. Throw a trans temp gauge on; the E4OD hates heat. Good luck with it.

8. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

A little update

replaced rockers, cab corners, floor panels, painted frame, took bed off to fix a cross member on the bed and while it was off changed the rear brake lines to nickel copper lines(because i wanted no rust lines), new rear brake shoes and wheel cylinders, made new tranny lines, painted the underside of the bed, changed seat. There is a little more i want to do to it (mainly mechanical) but thats pretty much all for now. I don't have any pictures yet, it's not pretty but it will be functional.

9. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Looking good.

10. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

I have a mount off a 250/350 for those years if anyone is intrested western unimount bracket only

11. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

Still needs a little work but its ready to go if needed.

f250.JPG

12. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

After watching my son plow in the ford today it has earned a new suspension and quite possibly a paint job. I love these old fords and this one does well even with the open wheel rear and 3:55 gears. One thing it definitely needs is an alternator up grade.

13. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Good luck biggest I've found is 95 amp.

14. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

135 amp out of a ford explorer is a direct fit, you just need to get the one with the right size pulley.

15. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

That's a good backup especially for the $ you got into it.

16. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

i did the 130 amp upgrade on my 96 f350. there are other donors that will work other than explorers - you just got make sure its a side mount unit. i believe pullies should be the same size regardless of what donor it comes off. I cant recall now, but the visual difference between a 95 and 130 amp was 4 large holes vs 2 in the case - or something like that.

upgrade the pathetically small 8 gauge wire - I think I used a 2 gauge and installed a mega fuse as well for protection. there was also a smaller wire that ran to the solenoid that had to be relocated to the alternator.

I can't remember all the specifics as it was 2 or 3 years ago now, but just wanted to make you aware that its more than just putting a 130 amp unit the place of the stock 95 amp unit. but it is a worthwhile upgrade.

17. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth Senior Member

there is room on the right fender for a second battery tray and a battery isolator. I had my plow kill my alt, and then drained the battery, had to call thee wife at 4 am for a jump start.

I wired the plow to the aux battery, so if it kills the alt again (just a matter of time) at least the truck will run and i can get back to the shop.

18. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up.

19. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

If I remember correctly, the Taurus 130 amp alt bolts right up.

20. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

I will check with the guys on the Ford forum as i think there is a step by step instruction post on what to do.