1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My assessment of the 2010-11 season

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Apr 6, 2011.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

It snowed a lot. And it's still flurrying !:realmad:

2. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Your right, it did snow alot! Just not very much at one time. I had some places that we salted more than 40 times! That's not common for us. payup

Bossman

3. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

Just had over a foot of heavy snow on the weekend, all gone now. Tonight another 3 cm. This is completely killing our spring cleanup schedule.

4. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I love how technical your report was.... LOL

5. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

We had about 8 inches, was all gone sunday afternoon. I was in calgary today, you wouldnt be able to guess there was a foot of snow two days ago.

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

snowed a lot here too.

Not a lot of major snowfalls but more then our share for this area. The first one was 10" and that was the hardest one to push without piles for boundaries.

7. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

whats new? nothing! weather people are still wrong, called for 12-16" we got 3" 6-12" we got 2", 2-4" we got 10"+, this last storm 4 weeks ago called for a foot woke up 27"! its been good year, had some truck problems with 4wd not working, still works some times. ready for summer!

8. buckwheat_la

the funny thing is last year so many people were barking that it wasn't snowing at all!!! I am happy it was a pretty brutal winter, thined out the competition, made loads of money

9. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

15th snowiest winter on record for Albany, set an all time record for combined Jan-Feb. snowfall, very few small storms, most of them 4"+ which was nice. Lots of plowing this year, made good money and 60s this weekend, and 70s next week...unfortunately they say its gonna rain, it needs to dry out so I can get spring cleanups going.

10. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

Very average winter for us. 8 plowable events. I contract with the city and they came in on budget, which is always good. All other customers happy and no major breakage. Only one mailbox destroyed and replaced! Now, its time to go fishing.prsport

11. buckwheat_la

ON BUDGET!!! the city I am in went over budget by 300% this year, lol

12. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

One word, Profitable!

13. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

I had 12 plowing events and 13 ice control events, largest storm was 8.6 and that was mid march

14. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

those seasonal contracts hurt a little this year grandview?? :p

15. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I always make money!payup

16. grf_1000

grf_1000 Senior Member

we only had 10 feet this year. well below our average. makes for a better then average winter in my book :)

17. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

You guys keep going back and forth with that. Too little snow, thins out the competition. Too much snow, thins out the competition. Yet, year after year, we all come on here and complain about the lowballers.

Anyways, this was by far the driest winter that we had in the front range. The mountains got hammered but we ended up with only 30% of normal.

Thankfully I signed a few seasonals this year and had my butt covered.

18. buckwheat_la

i guess it depends on the snowfalls, but 3 times this year we got phonecalls from people who had been ditched by their contractors, and we aren't talking a few, at one point we had 45 people who all phoned us because they heard we could take them on and the contractor that was doing them ditched them with 16 inches of snow.

19. snowbrothers101

snowbrothers101 Senior Member

I will say this about the winter, the low ballers were NOT loving all of this snow. Their piece of s&^#% equipment, and total lack of experience, did not prepare them for the long winter. I pikced up two accounts I had lost due to service failure from them.

I love winter!!!

20. skidooer

skidooer Senior Member

X2 on that one...........:drinkup: