1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My Answer to ballast

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Dogplow Dodge, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

For years, I've used sand bags, snow blower, and whatever else I could put into my truck for ballast, but I was never satisfied with with whatever I used due to the locations of where I could put the weight, and how much the stuff moved around.. We all know if you put 500lb way in the back of the truck, it handles so much better, so finally, I got some time to do what I had envisioned all those years, and spent some time fabricating. I wanted something relatively cheap, and safe to drive around with, and this is what I came up with. I had all the steel, and just needed the time to play around with it..

Maybe you guys who like to putz around with a welder can make something similar. This thing will be BOLTED in place with reinforcing tabs behind where the bolts go through the bed. I'll throw 3-4 bags of sand in there and call it a day. haven't decided on if it needs a locking top bar, but i figured once those bags freeze up, they're not coming out of the cage anyway. The whole premise with this is to keep the sand bags where they belong, and with my new rear springs and the way this old brick rides, nothing has worked in the past. We'll see if this does.

Just have to add a tab or two more to bolt it to the bed bottom, drill a few holes through the mounting tabs, clean up the welds.... and then it's off to the powdercoater to get a nice finish on it.

At least now I won't be so fearful of a bag of sand flying through my rear window if I should happen to hit something that doesn't give.:nod:

Have fun fabricating.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  2. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

That's nice. I like how it leaves the center of the bed open. That's always been what I've disliked about ballast. Never thought about the corners like that.

3. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

I made something Like that out of wood. It had a part on both sides to hold sandbags in the rear, and the cutout in the middle the width of a snowblower that went all the way to the front so i could hold two 2 Stage Blowers

4. Blizzard1980

Blizzard1980 Senior Member

Nice work and idea. However wouldn't you protect bedliner from friction?

5. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Thanks,

I rounded the corners of the base and upper section to prevent "sharp edges". The entire piece will be powder coated, so it will be a little bit less aggressive against the Linex bedliner than would cause issue. THe rebar has some teeth to it, but not enough to damage the linex bedliner. The real key, though, is preventing movement from the start. This is why another mounting tab will be welded to the bottom, and I can bolt it through the vertical sector of the bed that lies below / behind the rear bumper...

A much better way of doing this would be to have a huge hunk of solid steel a few inches thick (that weighed a couple hundred pounds, that was cut to the shape of the rear bed corner, and bolted down.... but I don't have the coin for that, and I get to use the sand bags that don't freeze to get traction somewhere when I need it.

6. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Looks like a very effective way to handle an age old dilemma.....
    One suggestion would be to raise the cage off the bed, it would make hosing it out easier and eliminate any damage to or leaving rust marks on the bed liner. It could be something as simple as a piece of slit heater hose to slip over the re-bar or as techy as a polyethylene block that's bolted on.

BTW nice way to utilize scrap.Thumbs Up

7. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Looks good
    My 83 chevy I made a 8'' pipe bumper filled it with concrete I made it removable slide it in the hitch
    Then my 88 Ford I took a truck tire and filled it with concrete and mounted it where the spare tire is mounted
    I like my bed to be free to put anything in it don't worry about taking weights out the bed to haul something
    Now I have steel flatbeds no need for a ballast

8. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Twin brother was born yesterday.

Both of them are being powder coated over the next week.

Figure 3 or 4 (80lb) bags of sand in each one should put ~500lbs over the rear axle... or behind it, I should say.

[​IMG]

9. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Looks good.

10. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

Nice job!! That's a great use of the bed space!!

11. jordanFTW

jordanFTW Member

Nice Idea, looking good.

12. horizon jay

horizon jay Member

Thats a great idea!

13. dstifel

dstifel Senior Member
    from Iowa

I got to heavy duty totes and took them up to my local supply yard and had them fill them up with sand. The fit tucked behind my wheels in similar fashion and can get about 300lbs in each one. Have about 40$ in the whole set up. Was just tired of bags breaking open from throwing blowers shovels hand s

14. dstifel

dstifel Senior Member
    from Iowa

I got two heavy duty totes and took them up to my local supply yard and had them fill them up with sand. The fit tucked behind my wheels in similar fashion and can get about 300lbs in each one. Have about 40$ in the whole set up. Was just tired of bags breaking open from throwing blowers shovels hand spreaders in and out of the truck.

15. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

I use wood and just framed around the wheel wells while leaving space in the middle for a few blowers and shovels. Worked great in my ranger last year, still have to build mine for the new truck. Holds about 10 sandbags over each wheel well.

16. Flyboy77

Flyboy77 Senior Member

dstifel, Could you post a picture of this? Are these totes the plastic bins from big box stores?

17. dstifel

dstifel Senior Member
    from Iowa

I will get a picture up this afternoon. I got the totes from menards, they are a rubber material instead of plastic. I was afraid the plastic would get brittle and break to easily.

18. Flyboy77

Flyboy77 Senior Member

Thanks, I really like DogPlow's creation, but I don't have such fabrication skills. I need something similar that will allow a salt pallet to still fit in the truck in between the ballast holders. I'm not sure how much space that will leave...

19. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Haven't had a chance to take any pix since I got them back from the powder coater. Here they are all painted up. I'll take a final when I get them filled before the first snow here ..

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  20. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Looks like a great idea. A lot better than 2x6 across the whole back making the bed useless unless unloaded.