1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My Alaskan Plow Rigs...

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by branr1, Jan 16, 2010.

1. branr1

branr1 Member

Here's a few shots of our Plow Trucks. The Ford is a 1991 F-350 with a 8ft Fisher Speed Cast. I Painted the Plow and added the wing to the drivers side to help cut down drifts and berms. I also add the head ache rack to the rear, it has 2 spot lights for backing up and 2 floods pointed to the sides.

The Dodge is a 1995 1500 with 3/4 Ton Diesel springs in the front and a 7.5ft Fisher Minute Mount 1.

My wife and I got a business license and insurance and started plowing last month. So far we've been relatively busy but we hope next year to get a few commercial accounts. We've subbed for other larger company's and plowed a few residentials ourselves for years but this is the first time we've attempted to make a real go at a small company of our own.

Our Plan is to buy nice but used equipment we can pay cash for. We want to keep a very low overhead right now until we nail down some larger regular accounts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. branr1

branr1 Member

Any advice you guys might have would be great. I've been reading post on this forum steady for the last month.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Looks good. What temp are you getting when your out plow?

4. branr1

branr1 Member

The Brrr in Brrr Plowing is in regards to my son calling everything with wheels a Brrr. We thought it would be cute and sort of an inside joke.

5. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Mmmm.

So which one does the wife drive? I like the ballast in the Ford too.:D

6. branr1

branr1 Member

She drives whatever she wants. I work a rotational schedule full time 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off so when I'm gone she and a friend of ours plow. The wood in the bed of the Ford is from a wind storm we had here earlier this week it actually got us another job today. My son and I were setting waiting for the wife in the Ford Plow truck and we had a lady pull up and ask if we could plow her driveway and cut up a few downed trees. We did both and everyone was happy.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  7. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

You gotta like that. Good luck to you and yours and welcome to Plow Site.:drinkup:

8. TLB

TLB Senior Member

Nice looking equipment;)

9. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

Welcome . Theres a few other AK boys here also.

10. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Nice looking rigs

11. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Looks like you are on your way, just be smart about it. It looks like you are, don't buy something you don't really need. ie a snowblower for a sidewalk that takes 15min to shovel ya it might save you 10min but just shovel it this year you can save the money and cancel your gym membership:D My wife always asks do you really NEED it, or just WANT it. If you need it get it.

12. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

Why just the one wing on the ford?

13. Snowplow71

Snowplow71 Senior Member

I think he said its for cutting drifts.:salute:

14. branr1

branr1 Member

So far so good this year we really hope to land a few commercial accounts for next winter. We started a little late in the game this winter. I look forward to every snow fall and we've been keeping our eye out for another good deal on a used plow truck. I'd like to retire the Dodge to our Family Cabin and replace it with a 3/4 or 1Ton Ford or Dodge.

15. branr1

branr1 Member

We'll it looks like we've closed the deal on the Purchase of one More Plow truck. I think were going to retire the Dodge to the family cabin. I'd like to say its going to be an easy retirement but we probably get twice the snow fall there that we get here and my father likes to loan out the truck to the neighbors so it'll still get lots of use during the winter months.

We had our eye on a 2006 F-350 Regular Cab XL 5.4 Flat Bed with only 7K miles but the sales guy absolutely sucks. He doesn't return calls and is never available to take calls. So Yesterday I found a 2008 F-250 Regular Cab XL 5.4 and 8ft Bed. The truck has 44,000 miles which is a bit more then the 2006 but its also two years newer and 4 grand cheaper. My business partner (wife) and I talked about it and I think were going to purchase the 2008. I've called the local Fisher Dealer and were going to purchase a Fisher Xtreme V SS 9.5 for the truck. I'll post pictures when we get it all set up.

We hope this will be the last large investment out of our personal account toward this venturer. Will see how things go hopefully this time next year we'll start to see a small return on our investments. I think were rather realistic in that we don't plan to get rich doing this. I love trucks and equipment so if we can acquire some other snow and ice removal equipment and pay cash with the money we've made that'll be ok for a while.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  16. captntim

captntim Member
    from Maine

two weeks on & two weeks off....are you merchant marine?

17. wellnermp

wellnermp Senior Member
    from Alaska

Sounds like a camp job schedule to me. Working up on the slope? Nice rigs.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  18. captntim

captntim Member
    from Maine

Didn't think of that. I have the same schedule running a tugboat, so I naturally guessed that line of work.

Nice rigs...good luck this winter

19. branr1

branr1 Member

I work on the Slope.

20. branr1

branr1 Member

New plow truck

Here is the new plow truck. 2008 F-250 XL 5.4 V8 24,000 miles. I got it for $15,000 which I thought was a decent deal.
    Here is a list of Parts I've purchased that I'll install when I get home next week.
    1. Fisher Xtreme V 9.5 SS
    2. Timbrens (front)
    3. RKI Louvered Cab Protector
    4. Ford OEM Upfitter Switch Kit
    5. 2inch Leveling kit
    6. 2 Spot light to mount on the RKI Rack for back up lights
    7. Ford OEM Molded mud flaps
    8. Pioneer CD player along with a mounting kit and wiring harness.
    9. Seat Cover
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010