1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My 98 k1500, keep it or sell it??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Mark13, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I've come to a point where I'm not sure what I want to do with my 98 and was looking for others opinions.

98 Chevy K1500 Ec/Sb Cheyenne (Manual everything)
    5.7/60e/ 10bolt (3.73 gears)
    179k (I got it 4yrs ago with 128k)
    8 lug 3/4ton or 1ton leaf packs and tbars
    Motor is 100% stock, trans is original I think with aftermarket cooler and temp guage
    Oil/Filter every 3k, f/r diffs and trans serviced once per year (about 11-16k miles per year)
    Driven very easily, warmed up for 10+ minutes 90% of the time before moving in the winter,

New power steering pump and lines last weekend. This weekend it's getting front axle seals and new back brakes. HD Suspension

Going to need tires, tailgate is pretty rough, got a rust problem going on, torn drivers seat on the edge, trans is slushy but still shifts thru all the gears, been a plow truck for the last 3yrs, spread salt for the last 2, needs shocks and alignment (front end parts are still tight, just wonders), has a few dings, scratches, and dents.

I'd trust it to take me anywhere, it's been worked pretty hard but it's taken care of and driven with care. I basically just need a heavier duty truck.

The back rack, toolbox, and all the plow stuff would come off if I were to sell it.

Some pics I just took tonight, I can get better ones tomorrow. (sorry about the mud, it's a work truck)

For me a truck needs to be my daily driver, tow rig for things up to about 10k 99% of the time, commercial plow truck, and be able to spread salt. I'd like to run a snow-ex 8500 for next winter and can't do it with this truck but I could live without the spreader. My little spreader now just isn't cutting it. Basically I should have a 1ton, preferably with a diesel.

Would you guys say to keep this truck and just run it into the ground and make do with what I have. Or try and clean it up and sell it to some 16/17yr old kid and get a decent dollar for it and get a 1ton. If I kept this truck and ran it until the body fell off (that's going to happen before the motor dies), I'd probably end up with a used 2012+ 3500 Dmax.

Also what would be an estimate on what I could expect to get if I cleaned it up and sold it?
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

What it can look like (before the rust got bad) if I took tons of time to clean it up (most of a day and a half).

I'll never get it to look that good again, but I could get it somewhat close.
  3. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

HD trucks are fairly cheap right now. Clean it up and slap a for sale sign in it. You mat be able to get more for it than you think and then you can wander off and find your 3/4 or 1-ton work truck.
  4. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Clean it and sell it.
    You might get a better price next fall going into winter with people thinking snow....
    I had the thoughts many times to have 2 trucks, both with plows.
    I tried it for awhile, 2 gas tanks to fill, 2 insurance policies, 2 everything....wasn't worth it.
    For plowing I arranged for a friend who was capable to back me up if mine ever went down.
    Buy one and take care of that, invest your time and money in one....IMO
  5. procut

procut Senior Member

A spare plow truck is worth it's weight in gold when you need it...
  6. packman1973

packman1973 Junior Member

keep it for a back up truck and get an hd with a v plow
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What they said.

If you decide to let it go, don't trade it for towards the newer truck. You'll basically give it to them for free. Which is about all it's worth to them. They won't get squat at auction.
  8. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

You won't get much for it. Quit pouring money into it that you'll never see again. 1 year ago all the dealers were trying to give away new trucks, why didn't you buy one then?? 0% for 5 Yrs. or $8-10,000 off sticker!! Should of made it happen then.
  9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I didn't have the money last year and didn't want to get a loan since the job I was working I knew wasn't going to last.

If I got rid of it I wouldn't trade it, I'd sell it outright to get more money from it.
  10. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

mark there was a truck on craigslist about 2 weeks ago like yous, dude was asking 5000, and sold it. if you can clean it up like in the last couple photos post it up for likr 4500 and see what happens. but that is a nice truck to keep around if you dont sell it. i wouldnt trae it in cause they are going to offer youlike 1200 for it and you can get more for it from the right person.
  11. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

You said you trust it to drive it anywhere, so keep it! An extra truck never hurts! JMO
  12. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

If i were you I would do a Cost/benefit analysis. Does this truck owe you anything? Sit down and start figuring out some numbers.
    How much will a new truck payment be?
    How much will your insurance go up with just a new truck?
    What will your insurance be when you have 2 trucks on it?
    Do you have someplace to park this truck when you are running the other one full time?
    Will it be worth selling this truck?...IF something catastrophic happens to your new truck do you have someone who can handle your route without costing your a fortune?

It all just depends on what you can afford, if you can keep the truck for a year after you buy the new one and see how much you use it. If you find out you dont need it, sell it!
  13. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

I say.......

BURN IT!!!!!!!:yow!::yow!::yow!::yow!: