1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My 84 d-150 failed emmisions..

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Crazy_Eddie, May 6, 2003.

1. Crazy_Eddie

Crazy_Eddie Member

I spent a whopping $51 on the new exhaust and it fails:p .
    Anyway, I think my EGR isn't connected because it's rusted out (is it the thing that sits on top of the right side of the block of my 318), but it hasn't been an issue the last 2 time I had to go through.
    Other than replacing my EGR, is there anything you fellas think I should check out?

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

What engine,trans,carb do you have ? Does it have A.I.R. or air injection ?

Post some details,and post the readings\limits from your failed test,and I can help point you in the right direction for repairs.Need to know what it failed on to figure out what to fix.

3. Crazy_Eddie

Crazy_Eddie Member

Wyldman,
    I have a 318 w/2bbl carb, I have no idea what tranny this truck has..
    I basically failed because my hydrocarbon output was @ 2.911 grams per mile where the limit is 2.8 gpm.
    The truck is only used to haul stuff and gets about 2000 miles on it a year. In the past it has never been an issue to get it through emissions.
    Looking back I wonder if there could be an issue with old gas. I replaced the plugs and distributer about 18 mos. ago, since then I doubt I've put more than 3000 miles on it since then and I don't remember adjusting the timing when I did it either..
    The truck isn't worth spending $500 to get it to pass, any help is appreciated..

Thanks..

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Well if it only failed on HC's,then don't worry about the EGR,it has nothing to do with HC output.

HC are bascally unburnt fuel,so the engine is running rich.It could also be due to oil comsumption.

First thing i would do is run out the old fuel,and then fill it up with fresh gas,change the oil,and filter,and clean the carb\intake\valves.Dirty oil will cause excess HC's to be pulled in through the PCV valve.To clean the carb\etc get a can of Motorcraft "tune-up cleaner",only available at a Ford dealer (don't worry,it's cheap).There are other products out there,but they don't work as well.Get the engine hot,then spray the entire can down the carb,while holding the throttle open slightly so it stays running.As the can runs out,let it stall,or shut it off,and let it sit for 30 mins.Fire it back up and drive the snot out of it for a bit.

Finally,before you retest it,check the timing,and mixture screws.The timing should be checked,and set to stock.It could be bumped up a few degress to help clean up the HC's,but don't go to far or it will fail on NOx.2-3 degress is usually enough.You can also slowly turn in the idle mixture screws to lean it out a bit,go in as far as you can,but still have an acceptable idle.

All the above should cost to much $$$ (maybe $15-20 for parts),and should improve the way the truck runs,and get it to pass the e-test.

Also,if you do have air injection,make sure it's hooked up and operative,it will help lower HC's

After it passes,you can reset the timing,and mixture screws to your liking.

5. Crazy_Eddie

Crazy_Eddie Member

Thanks for the help...
    What does the air injection look like? I know it sounds like a stupid question, but I'm a network engineer by trade and only work on cars when I have to...

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

Air injection will have tubes or pipes going into the exhaust manifold,and\or catalytic convertor.There may be a belt driven air pump,or it may just use check valves to pull air into the exhaust.

7. Crazy_Eddie

Crazy_Eddie Member

Wyldman, you're the man....

I did everything thing above except for mess with the fuel/air mix and I passed. I cut my hydrocarbon output down by 2/3s..

Thanks
    -e

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

Glad to hear it passed finally.If it doesn't seem to run as good you can adjust it accordingly now that it has passed.Just remember what you did to get it running good,so you can put it back to pass your emission test again.