1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My 20hp 46" snowthrower

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by BushHogBoy, Feb 12, 2010.

1. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

This is my economy unit haha... haven't used it on any commercial properties yet just my driveway doing some cleanup, my drive is hard to get most of with truck plow (live on highway, drive goes straight to garage, then has a very tight circle off to one side and 2 parking spots on other side) with a couple vehicles in the drive you might do half of it with a truck... I've had this snowthrower for years, its a 46" Craftsman single stage, I used to have a 17hp V-twin Kawasaki hydro Exmark Turf Tracer HP walk behind that i removed the deck and mounted this on there in the winter, it was awesome I used it on driveways when we had a 3' blizzard and it was unbelievably fast and of course you couldn't really do these places with a truck and not get stuck or pile snow where you didn't want it. The snow came down waay too fast to keep up with it.. I didn't have any commercial contracts at the time but a friend had a bunch and a bunch of driveways, he told me i could do all of his driveways and keep all the money since he was buried with his lots and couldn't do the drives with the truck anyway, so I loaded it and my 26" Toro 2 stage on the trailer and went and did the drives when the city finally got the roads opened up days later. Anyway the thrower has sat around the last many years since i've had a truck and what-not, a while back I got bored and mounted it to the good ol' Wheel Horse since the Exmark is long gone.... tractor is a '92 520H 20hp Onan V-twin, hydro drive, had to put the thrower on back as the belt would turn the wrong way if front mounted... here's a little vid of me cleaning up my driveway yesterday, from the storm we had Monday-Tuesday, so most of this is pretty frozen and compacted... Alot of this is moving piles i left with the truck and getting small areas... The sidewalk is bricks, you can see it does great there.... its a freaking neck breaker but pretty awesome.. Need some skinny tires and weights up front to steer better but it does the job. Only paid $40 for the thrower with the belt which i've managed to use on both the exmark and this tractor, my uncle picked it up at an auction it looked like new haha...

We didn't think to get any video til i had already gotten the good deep stuff but here's a teaser clip anyway... its fun to run it wesport

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqkGM9A-RzQ

2. keitha

keitha Senior Member

Very good job.
    A couple of idler pulleys to change the belt direction and you could mount it out front.
    Those wheel horse are a beast... just $$$$payup for repair parts
    Good luck with it. With all the money it makes, you can afford to go to the
    chiropractor.:laughing::laughing:

3. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

I'd like to eventually put a blade up front so the blower will stay in back. The gearbox pulley would be on the wrong side up front too. My family has always had Wheel Horses and always loved em. Very well built, simple machines run forever easy to work on I like the mechanical clutch lasts forever unlike very expensive electric units that beat the machine to death when you engage them. I'm not a very big fan of the Eaton hydrostatic unit in this one it is kinda weak but it's always been like that as long as we have had it since '99. Well maintained and all. Always gets the job done. It's been mowing this 2 acre property since new and we also have 36" rototiller that does a great job on our 4,000 sq ft garden and I've used it to till gardens for customers in the past as well. Hourmeter stopped years ago with almost 1,100 on it. Still no leaks still runs like new. Can't beat the Onan powerplant. Very smooth engine.

Parts for these are alot cheaper than cub or Deere??? I wouldn't have an overpriced Deere or newer cub (old ones are great though) of course newer Wheel Horses ain't built like these either really. I'm a big fan of old iron.......