1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My 2002 Toyota Tundra

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by VolvoL60F, Dec 18, 2013.

1. VolvoL60F

VolvoL60F Senior Member
    from Maine

This is my project truck. Bought it off my father for $5,000. I've had it since the beginning of summer, and the total miles it has right now is 313,000. It's been through a lot since I got it, and you'll get what I mean once you see the photos below. It still has the original transmission, and engine with no problems (knock on wood). I do eventually want to put a small plow on it, but that's not going to be any time soon.

Here is how I got it, bone stock...

[​IMG]

Headlights had to go asap, can't stand faded yellow headlights.

[​IMG]

And then a big thunder storm came, and down came a pine tree... This is the top of the tree, it broke at the half way point, and came flying down from 35 feet above. Pretty much destroyed the hood, both fenders, bumper, and windshield. I wasn't happy.

[​IMG]

2. VolvoL60F

VolvoL60F Senior Member
    from Maine

It got sent to a Body shop.

[​IMG]

$5,500, and 2 weeks later, I got it back like new, and didn't have to spend a penny :) Whole entire front of the truck was replaced. Hood, fenders, grille, bumper, etc.

[​IMG]

3. VolvoL60F

VolvoL60F Senior Member
    from Maine

Also this truck has entire brand new frame. Toyota recalled it, and got replaced for free. Cost the dealership $11,000 in parts, and labor.

Anyway, got a new exhaust installed because the rotted stock one just wasn't doing for me. Sounds beast now Thumbs Up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. VolvoL60F

VolvoL60F Senior Member
    from Maine

Next came a cold air intake system!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. VolvoL60F

VolvoL60F Senior Member
    from Maine

I couldn't stand the stock rims anymore, they had to go. Picked up these bad boys!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. gallihersnow

gallihersnow Senior Member

With 313,000 miles I'm surprised your insurance company didn't total it when the tree fell on it. Either way, it sounds like you've got pretty much a brand new truck minus the powertrain.

7. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 Senior Member

Toyotas are hard to kill. Buddy of mine ran 2 Seqoias into the ground with almost 400k miles on them both. Both also had the 4.7 V8. I personally have a 2006 Tundra Limited double cab 6.5 bed. Couple scratches but not very noticable except for one. Compared to yours, mine is almost brand new with only 117k on it right now and runs like it did when it was new. I would never put a plow on it though. It isnt worth it on this truck in my opinion. Not because of the warranty, but because the front end is i think like just under a 4k front axle. If i were to put a plow on anything I would feel more comfortable with atleast a 5-6k front end. In comes the F350s but at Clippers where I works during the winter they have me driving a 450 dump with the 6.7 diesel (love that motor and damn is it quiet) with a 9"6 BOSS plow and a V box spreader in the dump

8. hackitdown

hackitdown Member

Nice wheels. Black bumpers would finish the look.

9. VolvoL60F

VolvoL60F Senior Member
    from Maine

I couldn't believe they repaired it either, but as long as it was fixed, I'm really glad to have been able to keep the truck.

They are really hard to kill, that's for sure. That's pretty impressive, my father owns a Seqoia as well, still running strong, not sure how many miles it has, but over 100,000. I probably won't put a plow on it then. Thanks for your thoughts, and opinions! The F350 sounds like a beast, but don't like quiet engines much.

Thanks. I really would like to paint the bumpers black, along with all the gray trimming all over the truck. But since it's a gray truck, it wouldn't look all that great. A new grille will be on the truck soon though.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  10. VolvoL60F

VolvoL60F Senior Member
    from Maine

I did install an HID kit too. They are 10,000K both main lights, and fogs. I love them! I also installed some DRL's over the top of the lights to make it look a little fancy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. 04trd

04trd Senior Member

Now that's a sharp truck! Go check out www.tacomaworld.com definitely a bunch of good Toyota stuff. I'm on there all the time as I own a 2004 Tacoma

12. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

You could put a plow on it, but these 1st gens had really light front ends. I've seen 2nd gen Tundras with 850 pound plows being used regularly. The most I'd put on this is a 7'6'' SDs

13. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Nice looking 1st gen. Tundra. I love my Dad's 2nd gen. Tundra. I think the 1st gen. Tundras are really good trucks but they have a light front end and can't handle a heavier plow like the 2nd gen. Tundras can. But, the other day while I was driving I saw a 1st gen. Tundra with what appeared to be a 7.5' Fisher HD MM1. I think you would be fine with a 7.5' Fisher SD or a 7.5' Boss Sport Duty.

14. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Nice professional picture Mike

15. VolvoL60F

VolvoL60F Senior Member
    from Maine

Thanks! Looks like another good forum, wish I could post my Tundra on there. Thanks for sharing

I'm having my doubts, I really don't want to mess up the frame, even if it could handle it. Not like I have money for it anyway ussmileyflag

Thanks. That's one bummer about the older Tundras, they have really light front ends. I was thinking about getting a Boss Super Duty, I'm a big Fisher fan, but I don't like their smaller plow designs like the homesteader I believe it's called.

Thanks

16. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Your Tundra definitely won't be able to hand a Boss Super Duty. It could handle a Boss Sport Duty or, if you wanted a Fisher bigger than the Homesteader you could go with a SD or HT.

17. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 Senior Member

It isnt that quiet. Im used to the older ford diesel engines that will make you go deaf. This one still makes some fantastic noise but not nearly as loud and obnoxious as the older ford diesels

18. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 Senior Member

19. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Thats a sweet color kidmows

20. VolvoL60F

VolvoL60F Senior Member
    from Maine

Oops, my bad, I mean't Sport Duty. I'll have to look into the Fisher SD or HT.

Ohh, I thought it was super quiet to the point where you can barely hear it. I hate all the emissions stuff they put on these trucks now. I don't like them to be obnoxious, but to the point where I can still enjoy the growl of the engine.

Nice Tundra! The blue looks good