1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My 1st Plow Truck

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by ratorrey, Dec 30, 2008.

1. ratorrey

ratorrey Junior Member
    from Maine

1992 Silverado K1500. 164000 Miles, Automatic, Power windows, doors, locks. AC cruise. 7.5 foot speedcast plow. I have had to repair rear wheel wells with rust repair panels. Replaced Front Brake Pads, Rear Shoes, Wheel Cylinders, 1 Drum, All 3 Ebrake cables and brake lines front to back and across rear end. I had to rewire the parking lights oon the plow gear due to bad sockets and connections at the truck I had to pull the stearing wheel and clean the directional switch because a brake light issue. I have done all the work myself. I paid 1100.00 for the truck and have another 400.00 in parts. Am I into it for to much or is it about average? Everything other than this that I looked at in the 1000.00 range was a total rust bucket. I bougt it basically as a yard truck that will occdasionally go on the road.

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

$1500 bucks into it? You are ahead of the game from what I can see. That's a perfect first plow truck and you can't beat the reliability of a Speedcaster, I love them.
  3. Harleychvy

Harleychvy Senior Member

I think you've done good if you can save money doing the work yourself. You should like the truck, I plowed with a 88 GMC shortbed last year, and It was a decent truck. Have fun:)
  4. willyswagon

willyswagon Senior Member

Great first package. You'll have some fun and make some bucks with that set up. Invest in some rattle can touch up paint to cover the repairs. People are more willing to deal with some one that has a professional looking rig. A lick of paint on the blade makes a huge difference in how well the snow comes off the blade and makes you look like a going concern.payup
  5. heavyiron

heavyiron Member

You got a good deal. That old Speedcaster is as solid as they come, I've got one on my '77 Chevy that came off an old Jeep back then, it's got to be from the early '70's and it's super reliable. Touch up the paint on the body and blade and it'll serve you for years. Short money to plow your driveway in comfort, just exercise it regularly. Problems can set in when they sit for extended periods of time.
  6. tuna

tuna Senior Member

Nice first rig.I used to have the same truck and plow`92 Z71 longbed with a Speedcast and it was a great plow truck.