1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

my 1st plow -- need some advice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Smitty58, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

I bought my 1st plow for my Jeep that I bought 1 month ago. The plow is a meyers 6 1/2 with a E-47. It came off of a Jeep exactly like mine so it should be pretty easy to set up. My question is ,what should I be looking for? Do I need to buy backup parts like cylinders etc? The guy I got it from said it worked perfect ,and I don't have any reason to doubt that ,but I really don't have a clue what to look out for either.
    Thanks for the help.

2. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Drain the fluid and repalce it with new Meyers fluid. A spare trip spring is handy but the rest of the backup parts would cost more then it is worth to have on hand if you are just starting up. A valve, B valve, C valve, couplers, & pivit pin, Just make sure the store you buy from has them on hand or find someone elce it the area that plows and work together on spare parts. Keep an eye open for a complete E-47 unit at a reasonable price for a spare. Cylinders seldem go bad.

3. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

Thanks Dwan, thats just what I was looking for.

4. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

i run the same plows very reilable but just in case get extra pins and clips on that a frame u can always pin in the angle if u loose angle control. xtra hose and fluid is all i carry so good luck....

5. rainair

rainair Senior Member

things to have with you when plowing

besides the normal fluids, extra hoses, etc. keep a tote with long jumper cables [heavy duty] a first aid kit, extra gloves [including latex gloves for wet proof work or first aid and or to work on the oily parts], a small chain saw [for those ice storms or downed trees], some energy bars and drinks.
    this will keep you ready for just about anything you will need and can't get in the time of a bad storm. oh yea don't for get a small bag of sand and some chains too!
    have fun I do!

6. fernalddude

rain i was just thinking of plow not driver :nod: yes the driver needs fuel also you will burn alot of energy working out in the cold just staying warm so bring stuff to keep yourself up for the task power bars some junk food drinks (plenty of fluid) my dad calls it bear food (lol) you dont want to stop to get a meal your paid when the plow is on the ground so bring a bag for you and any help you have just leave it in the truck and get stuff that wont go bad be cause after a few hours u will be looking for some energy.....

7. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

All great advice.
    Fernalddude, where are you located? Are you near Fernald? I'm 20 minutes north of Ross (Trenton). You say you run the same kind of plows, what are they mounted on? Jeeps? How have you done in the past winters around our area? I'm hungry for all the advice I can get.
    Thanks,

8. rainair

rainair Senior Member

first plow? are you going to salt

for the folks in central Ohio to eastern Ind. from Lima to cinci. if your looking for the best price for salt contact Todd @ with a grain of salt co. its bulk terminal is here in Clark co. toddmartin@withagrainofsalt.com time NOW to arrange for your this years salt. not next month!

I want to take time right Now to Invite all my comrades for all over the buckeye state, and PA, IN,Ky WV, to the Ohio State Farm Science review this month @ Molly Caren Field London Ohio. 3 week in Sept.
    OK yea its got lots of tractors and plows ...hmmm plows? yea not only dirt plows they have all kinds of snow plows too the latest plows right from the factory... salt spreaders yea! tools OH Yea tents and tents of equip. looking for the new Big truck.. or a special truck? its there 3 days of new products and things you wont hear about till after the fsr...

9. fernalddude

smitty yes i work at fernald and live in colerain (go CARDS>>>) :redbounce i have had jeeps and now run bronco II's all my work is in the tricounty area what type questions do you have. been plowing for over 20 years and have run all over cincy and have hear it all so fire away with questions will help all i can :waving: might be some time to answer been working on plowing equipment all last month......

10. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

thanks fernalddude, I've learned a bunch already just from reading here. I do have a couple of questions. Where is the best place to buy salt and calcium chloride? When you set out to plow, do you wait till the snow stops or just until it reaches your trigger? What have you found to be the acceptable rate for residential drives say your basic 2 car wide by 40 feet long? And also what about small commercials like gas stations or banks?
    Thanks for the help if I can do anything for you let me know. I do lawncare as well as build decks and fences.

11. fernalddude

hey dont have trigger if it is going to snow i pre apply salt or cal or mag i get my chemicals at 3 places first try cws its cargills out let store in tri county so you dont have to go to the river to get salt from the plant. 2 i also hire a guy who works for kalenburger truck and they also supply me with salt and if i need more i got some bulk supply at the company i work for. right now in summer i got 3 tons in the shop MgCl2 ,CaCl2, NaCl, people think iam crazy to work all summer to get ready for winter but it payes off big time and when they are snowed in i just cruz buy and wave :waving: not good on drives but at least 30 bucks sounds like 10 min work one push up one push down if the guy had to do it buy hand it would take him hours to get done..

12. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

where exactly is cws? and what kind of prices for calcium? What form is the chemicals you buy? liquid or dry?
    So if its going to snow you go out ahead of the storm and pretreat? Do you have that in your contracts?

13. fernalddude

smitty so cws is on port union rd if fairfield and yes i go out before the storm and during the storm always stay ahead of the storm or it will be to late. i start off with chemicals and if i have to i plow but chemicals make the money its like 11 bucks a min when the spinner is running but it cant run all the time you have travel time and resupply moving chemicals and so on the easy part is putting down the stuff its the logistics that drive you crazy.....having the right stuff at the right place. i keep storage bins at central locations and resupply all the time but i dont get paid for that so it is time that counts that why u got to stay ahead of the storm.

14. fernalddude

sorry prices i make my own liquid stuff got brine plant at shop and got lab guys to give me the mix :gunsfiring: salt is like 180 bucks a skid and thats 49 50 lbs bags and cal is like 12 bucks a bag but mag is just as goos and its like 8 bucks :waving:

15. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

Fernalddude-I'm planning on taking it slow this year to learn ,but who knows. So if mag is just as good as calcium and cheaper that sounds like the way to go. I think I know where cws is now. Is it a small wearhouse ,I think I've been by there and seen a sign advertising fertilizer. I wondered how there prices compared to Lesco. I don't have a truck spreader yet, what would you reccommend for a Jeep?
    That price of 8 bucks for mag is that 25lb or 50lb?

Thanks for all the help,

smitty

Hey by the way do you know Jim Leslie? He works at Fernald.

16. fernalddude

hey iam going to look at some equipment today might have you a spreader does your jeep have 2" reciver hitch?
    be back home tonite see even holiday iam working snow (lol) :waving:

17. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

fernalddude- no it doesn't but I can put one on it. Let me know what you find.
    Thanks,