1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My 1st account *pic*

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by rush, Oct 22, 2006.

1. rush

rush Member

My 1st year plowing and this is my 1st account!
    Can anyone draw some arrows on this picture or give pointers to show best plowing...I want to keep time down so i can move to my next account.

By the way, I agreed to plow this for $100 per push. Does that seem about right?

[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. plowin101

plowin101 Junior Member
    from ohio

Can you give some more details? What is the trigger for plowing? What type of blade are you using? Salt? I'm assuming this is an apartment complex.

3. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

congrats but a hundred bucks seems too little for that size account, thats a big lot.and it looks like your going to have the hassle of cars and such. if i was plowing that lot i would have asked for more most likely double your quote.

4. rush

rush Member

yepp It is an apartment complex, the trigger is 3" of snow, no salting, and i will be plowing with a ford 250XL with a western 7 1/2 standard.

The reason i agreed to $100 per push is i live here.

5. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Then i hope your getting a break on rent. What if it snows 1 or 2 feet? Still $100?
    I would want no less than $300 for that lot

6. rush

rush Member

$300?? WOW... then prices really are different where your at.

That last guy was plowing it for $150 a push and he was a large landscape and plow outfit.
    It took him about an hour to plow it... 1.5 hours if we got hit good.

sorry to say, at your price you wouldnt get any accounts in my area.

7. 06HD BOSS

Understandable...totally different markets. I guess i figured it right time wise...for my area between $200-$300/hr is standard.

8. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

I agree seems low price to me, but whats your average number of "pushes" a season?

9. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

$100 for 1-1.5 hours work? even $150 is still quite low for a lot that large.I'm guessing you get say around 20-25 storms a year? is this large lot really worth 2 grand a year to you?

What about parking issues,how many people live there? I think I see what 50 or so spaces? thats 50 cars and trucks you'll have to move around to get the lot fully cleared.

Also just to ask,who is looking after the insurance if someone was to say fall? for that price I'd make shure it was my landlord.I think he might be taking advantage of you,I really hope this isn't the case.

10. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

$100.oo Is still low for Wisconsin. You said the last guy was doing it for $150 so why go lower then that? Living there you will be expected to clean up any little spot there is when a car moves. Gas has increased since last year and this winter look for it to go back up to around $3 a gallon. Hit a car or damage some signage or anything and you will be paying them to plow.

Looks like a lot of work for $100 bucks turning and backing up around cars. Seems like a low-ball price just to get the job which in turn will have you banging your head on the dash wondering why you agreed to such a low rate.

11. rush

rush Member

Insurance is definatly covered by the owner (landlord)

"20-25 storms"...I WISH!! last year the landlord paid for 6 pushes..

I know i lowballed it at $100 ..previous guy was at $150, like i mentioned.
    But i wish i could get even $200 per hour like some of you....most plow guys around my area that still charge by the hour, are bidding at $65.

I know it will hardly make a difference in my bank account, but its close to home, and if i'm not doing it someone else is for a measly $50 bucks more. Im looking at it as a way to make a buck and gain experience at the same time.

PS. I might look big in the pic..but its only a 24 unit apartment complex...8 apartments per building. thoes are the garages on the left and right of each building. most park in the garage in the winter.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2006
  12. AlaskaShooTer

AlaskaShooTer Member

This lot looks like it will be a pain in the butt to plow. In looking at the way cars are parked, going different directions in the upper middle and lower sections plus the ends have structures built on 4 out of the 6 sections of the lot. Where exactly is the snow storage area? Looks like a lot of back dragging and plowing nightmare that's worth a couple Ben Franklin's a push. I don't think the property developer designed this lot layout with the snow plow contractor in mind. :D

Good point on the insurance question. The only + points is the commute is short and you'll be in good with your landlord which is generally not a bad thing as long as they are happy with your work and don't expect you to be their "resident" snow guy.

Good luck with the account.

Rush, any chance they don't permit parking out on the lot during snow events if there are garages or carports for tenants?

George

13. 06HD BOSS

When i shot out the hourly numbers i just meant like adding up the number of driveways done per hour or taking commercial accounts and dividing the time i takes to do them by what the price is per push.

And your right about gaining experience and making some money doing it. Gotta start somewhere & happy plowing :cool:

14. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

lol,I wish I got $200 an hour :mad: last year my half ton got $100/hr and even then people thought i was nuts,I get $20-25 for a driveway :rolleyes: oh well but if even I can get that you could get $125-150....that sized lot should go for $200+ I think the land lord is just being tight

Don't ever sell yourself short,for every one lost job there is 4 nice paying ones out there for you to find

15. rush

rush Member

Everyone out here is trained pretty good, during the snow storms they park in the garage and if they have multiple cars they wait for the main strip in the center to get plowed then park along the side there. Its close to winter and right now i only have 3 accounts..all comercial, this apartment complex a BP gas station and another apartment complex about the same size. They are all right next to eachother. (3 properties in a row on the same side or the street too...thankfully) Its just me and my truck...so im not even sure if i should look for more or not, since its my 1st time ever even driving a plow truck.

16. EnviroTeam

EnviroTeam Member

Ok what the heck am I doing wrong???....lol...I don't see any picture anywhere...

17. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Don't you see the picture in the first post?

18. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

damn that sucks, i get no less then 45 per driveway, and it only goes up from there, i was being pretty conservitave with saying 200 per push, im sure once i saw it in person i would def ask for more, but im in ct, and they seem to pay better up here.

19. AlaskaShooTer

AlaskaShooTer Member

Price Upgrade

Well Rush, it's good to hear that the other tenants are willing to work with the snow fighters but I'd talk to the property manager and at least get him/her/them to pay you what they paid last year. Fuel is no cheaper, maintenance etc. Life is just more expensive and I would at least ask them to pay what they paid for the service last year. I personally feel that would be more then reasonable and you'd split the difference of opinion here on the form. Many feel $200.00 is reasonable, you're willing to do it for $100.00 so $150.00 sounds like a more then fare amount for your area. Ask $175.00 and settle for $150.00 or $160.00.

Prices for services have not dropped 33% since last year. Just stop by your local mechanics shop, gas station, plow dealer. Ask if they have had a price decrease of 33%since last year? I realize you want the business but let's be realistic.

I'll be the first to admit I don't know squat about plowing. I'm new to this forum, I'm new to owning a plow but have learned a lot from reading the plow forums and the one thing I've learned is snow removal is not cheap. First you buy the equipment then you maintain it so when the snow flies it's ready to do the job. If you're in to it as a hobby or doing a friend a favor that's one thing BUT, I do know if you want to make money, make a profit and cover your expenses you have to charge what the market will bare. Push it!

It's nice that fuel prices have dropped over the past few months but don't count on them staying here for long. Even though you live in close proximity your equipment will not last forever and you need to make money now and sock it away to pay for the new stuff in the future.

My motto. You can't make too much money! Everyone else want's your $$$.

George

20. rush

rush Member

exactly..close to home and i need the experience.

Where im at gas is down .38 cents per gallon from this time last year...

Wisconsin
    Regular Premium

October 22th:
    $2.24 $2.44

Last year:
    October 22th
    $2.62 $2.79

Thanks for all the positive comments..lol

Ok..Now i know you all feel i *** myself on my bid.. but that a side, anyone willing to help with my original question?