1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My 1999 Ram 2500 Restoration Thread

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by plowguy43, May 16, 2011.

1. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Well long story short, I'm getting rid of my 04 which I still owe a little money on and using a 1999 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 that I bought for very little money. Even with the work I'm putting into this 99, yes it is still worth getting rid of the payment.

A little backround on the truck :
    Had a reman'd long block put in Jan 2009, has a 5 year 100k warranty with it that transfered to me (already sent in the forms).
    I have every receipt from 2009 forward and a good amount has been done.
    Truck had lost reverse so I purchased a beefed up tranny with a bunch of upgrades off ebay that comes with a 3 year 100k warranty - $1450 shipped to my door, no core return required - its built more for a deisel than my gasser.
    So basically the drivetrain is covered by a warranty for the next 3 years.
    It also came with a good condition 8' Minute Mount 1 Fisher that I just sold yesterday along with the push plates and wiring from my 04 - paid for the tranny.

What I plan on doing :
    The truck was mostly a plow truck so the bed has some decent rot, its been painted and the driver fender's body work isn't that good, the pass fender has some rust as well, the bottom of the doors have surface rust but hasn't gotten that bad. The interior is a mess (dirty) but otherwise fine. It still passed inspection and is good until August.

I plan on replacing both fenders with Keystone Aftermarket Fenders, I just bought a rust free, dent free bed assembly from LKQ using one of my body shops discounts ($500 down from $1500 :) ), and then having one of my body shops repair any other rust and painting the entire truck Patriot Blue. I might change the front bumper and grill to the 99-01 Sport since I love that style the best. Thankfully most all of the body work will be free or just paying for materials and the fenders I will get at my shops cost.

While I'm replacing the bed, I plan on sand blasting and painting the frame with Por15. I will then swap over my strobes, light bar, tool box, and possibly replace the carpet inside the truck to freshen it up (only $150 shipped from ebay).

I have a spare set of wheels and tires for my 04 so I'll be putting the goodyears on the 99 as well since they are basically new. Other than that I may put a leveling kit and a body lift on it eventually.

Pictures of all of this will follow, I'll snap some of how it sits currently tonight.

2. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

You should have bought a Cummins. You may not be happy with the 5.9 gasser. They are a bit under powered for truck. But I hear ya on getting rid of payments. If your doors and rockers are bad you can call keystone and get replacement parts that weld in. They are alot cheaper and than replacing the whole rocker panel which goes half way up the door. And you can buy weld in bottom panels of the door also

3. plowguy43

Believe me I would've loved a cummins but to buy one would've put me in the same amount owed as I have on my 04. Just wasn't worth it. Plus the truck is only driven during the winter for plowing, to the dump ever 2 weeks, and when I put my boat in the water a few miles down the road. Otherwise it sits in my driveway for most of the year.

I've owned a 97 and 01 Ram 1500 with the 5.9 and personally I think the torque in this motor moves loads just fine. Sometimes better than my HEMI, but all around the HEMI is far more powerful.

Sorry for the delay on pictures, been raining so I haven't ventured outside much. But I'm picking up the new bed today so I'll snap some pictures.

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  4. ram_tough2001

ram_tough2001 Senior Member

i have an 01 5.2 1/2 ton that i put an 8' hd fisher on and let me tell ya, not under powered at all! i can move mountains of snow with it, even when i had baldish tires on it. its a beast while plowing and the only upgrade i did was put diesel springs up front to handle the plow better.

5. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

No you don't say, I feel like I live in Seattle were on day 6 of rain down here. I am looking forward to the pics and good luck.

6. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

1/2 tons are lighter by about 1300 pounds. So going from a truck with 345hp to a truck with 245hp is the reason i said he may feel it under powered. Trust me I hear yeah about the Dodge 1/2 ton my old 87 1500 with a 318 140/hp could move mountains also.

But I am sure losing a 400 payment a month can easily make a truck feel 10x better

7. plowguy43

Both good points. Thankfully my payment isn't that high but still, it'll be much nicer to bank the money rather than pay it out every month.

Thankfully they are calling for clearing this weekend, I'm crossing my fingers. Sorry still no pictures the sh*t hit the fan yesterday and I barely had time to get everything done. I did get the bed back to my house, and my new transmission arrived.

Here are the specs on the tranny :
    The 518/618 HD Dodge transmission specifications

Hydraulic upgrades:
    Up-graded pin and spring on reverse servo
    HD2®kit equipped valve body doubles holding power of low in manual low.
    The HD2®kit helps in preventing downhill clutch burn up when using an exhaust brake or engine compression braking and creates firmer up-shifts for performance and durability

Gear Train:
    Forward steel 5 pinion planet.

Clutch Pack upgrades:
    Master Kit with red frictions and kolene steels 92-02 A518 / A618 Overdrive PowerPack®

BANDS:
    Kevlar band, Kevlar low band

Pan:
    Deep pan B&M or Derale pan whichever is available

Torque Converter upgrade:
    Performance Billet multi disc Torque converter
    with custom lowered stall

Cooler:
    Hayden “THE DAWG” w/fan

8. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

So,what did that tranny cost you? How much to ship? Core charge?

kevlars

9. plowguy43

$1450 shipped to my door, 3 year 100k warranty, no core charge no core return. I got it from a company online, they had cheaper reman's that were pretty much a stock rebuild with some minor upgrades but I wanted something more heavy duty that eliminated the weak points of the 46RE. The planet gears are upgraded to 47RE's, clutches are upgraded with extra packs, etc, plus the converter and auxillary cooler with an electric fan w/thermostat seemed like a great deal to me.

I also purchased new tranny lines from Rockauto for a total of $50, and a temp guage from Advance Auto (mechanical) for $18.

My next purchase will be the GM Governor solenoid replacement which is another $140 but eliminates a bunch of problems associated with the Dodge Governor solenoid.

10. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

If you could pm me the seller, I would appreciate it. I have 120K on my stock tranny, so I am on borrowed time!!!

Thanks, kevlars

11. plowguy43

12. plowguy43

Just purchased a 3" body lift for it from SummitRacing. I'm also swapping over my 2.5" spacers from my 04 as well. I'm into lifted trucks and figured that this was the best way to ensure the push plates weren't too high off the ground without needing modifications.

Sometime this summer I'll be purchasing some 315/75/16's for it for spring/summer use only. I also figure this will help with removing the transmission.

13. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

9.6 going on this one? Pics yet?

14. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

Thanks for the link on the tranny. I will be calling them soon.

kevlars

15. plowguy43

Yes sir, already swapped the harnesses over. Of course no pics yet. I already posted some in the Maine weather thread but let me see if I can post them here...

Picture 008.jpg

16. plowguy43

Still working on the pictures, didn't get around to anything last weekend since we were to busy with other things.

I'm a little pissed because the tranny showed up without the torque converter and auxillary cooler. The shop supposedly shipped them but that was 2 weeks ago. All I keep getting are appologies but I'd rather here them just say they dropped the ball and forgot to ship it and they'll overnight them asap. Oh well.

17. plowguy43

So I finally took some pictures of the truck. No progress yet as I was too busy getting the 04 sold and purchasing a Jeep for my wife. I also still don't have my torque converter - it was shipped yesterday, and I have to buy an auxillary cooler since they are backordered and are refunding me. Only took me filing a dispute in paypal to finally get an answer from the tranny place....

Next weekend I will hopefully be replacing the transmission, cleaning out the interior, and removing the bed so I can sand the frame and POR15 it.

Picture 051.jpg

Picture 053.jpg

Picture 055.jpg

Picture 054.jpg

Picture 057.jpg

18. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

So now the truth comes out........you had to sell the 04 to buy the wife a new Jeep. That makes sense :)

19. plowguy43

Wasn't planning on it. But the truck market is dead right now and the dealers weren't willing to purchase it outright. We found a mint Jeep Liberty at Macdonald Motors and got a great deal so it was worth it. I'll have it paid off in a year and she'll have a car to haul the kids and dog in when we don't use my company car. I'd rather pay monthly for something we'll use rather than sit until the snow flies as well so it was a good deal.

20. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

I hear ya, just giving you a hard time about the wife ;)