1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My 1993 2500 6.5 diesel (runs on Veggie Oil) Anyone else running on WVO??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by turb0diesel, Sep 21, 2012.

1. turb0diesel

turb0diesel Senior Member

I recently purchased a 1993 Chevy Silverado 2500 4X4 6.5 with 250,000/mi
    In the process of installing an older 8'6" Boss w/wings.

So far I have one connect with the local VFW where I collect their WVO.

I've heard of companies selling ready to use (filtered) WVO for about $1/gal but haven't had any luck in finding them.

Anyone else running Straight Vegetable Oil around the Chicago area?

100MEDIA_IMAG0590.jpg

2. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I thought that stuff jelled in the winter time ?

3. Squires

Squires Senior Member

I looked into doing it with a 95 6.5L i had and at the time they would gel in the winter time, you needed a duel tank set up, one for diesel, one for the veg oil. The veg oil needed a tank warmer so you started and ran on Diesel until the veg was warmed up, then you had to close off the flow of diesel as you opened the flow of veg, all well and good but then you had to switch back to diesel before shutting it off so you would only have diesel in the lines/pump for the next cold start.
    It was a cool system but not ideally suited for cold conditions.
    I remember this being featured on Trucks probably close to 10 years ago. i never read through the site recently but maybe you don't have to worry about gel problems if you go this highly filtered/refined route, kind of expensive though
    http://www.usfreedombiofuels.com/

4. turb0diesel

Thats exactly how mine works!
    Actually, the guy I bought it from did a really job on the set up.
    He put a glow plug booster option for the winter and a Loop option as well where it keeps the veggie circulating although he said he never had to use the loop option in the winter. He just said it will take longer before I can switch to viggie in the winter, about half hour or longer.

5. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

So you run the veggie throw a separate filtration system ? and the two never meet ?

6. turb0diesel

The diesel and veggie have their own separate filters & the veggie is warmed up using the radiator which I need to replace.

7. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Is the mpg the same with veggie ?

8. turb0diesel

I think its better. My truck loves to run on veggie, you can barely feel the truck when its on.
    Its nice for people that have to travel long distances often since you have to drive around 10-15minutes(longer in cooler temps) on diesel till you can flip that switch to run on veggie.

9. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Is the cost of the converting over to veggie worth it in the long run? or will the maintenance of two fuel systems chew up any gain in profit ?

10. turb0diesel

The kit runs for around 2k and you should be able to do it yourself. I'd get the kit from these guys:
    http://www.greasecar.com/products/catalog/greasecar-truck-kits

This month I drove the truck 1,000/miles on veggie oil and $100 in diesel(about 25/gallons)
    I should have kept track of how much oil I used.

There really isnt maintenance, just make sure the oil is filtered and water free and that you dont switch to veggie till it reaches 160f+ and that you run on diesel for a couple of minutes/miles before shutting it off the truck.

11. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

There are also some programmers that let the truck keep running for a few minutes after you shut it down. So you could flip the switch in your truck, then take your key out lock the truck and walk away. It will run for a few minutes then shut off automaticly.

12. Landmind

Landmind Junior Member
    from Bedford

You should try some waste motor oil

13. turb0diesel

I actually heard of a guy using trans oil.
    Not trying is, Id rather pay and use Biodiesel

14. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

What about running waste engine/trans oil in your WVO system, not your regular dino system?

For winter use, I wonder if a system that uses something like a block heater would be worthwhile...then the WVO would come up to temperature much more quickly.

Anyway, very cool!

15. Landmind

Landmind Junior Member
    from Bedford

I've got some in my tank right now, only 20% or less. Consider it a fuel additive to add lubrication to dry ulsd.

16. turb0diesel

Trans or Motor oil?

17. bleachcola

bleachcola Junior Member
    from se mi

very nice setups and the smell is great outta the tailpipe. its just too bad the 2007.5+ big three trucks have so pollution crap and they are hard to convert mainly bc of the high pressure fuel system, but on the plus side you can make 1000tq to the wheels with a tuner and exhaust bolt on.

18. Landmind

Landmind Junior Member
    from Bedford

Waste motor oil (WMO)