1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My 1968 Mustang Restoration

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by plowguy43, Dec 13, 2012.

1. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Well there is no snow and guys are posting up pics of their toys so I figured why not. I've always wanted a 69 Fastback and passed up on a few great deals over the years so when I saw this car on craigslist I jumped on it. Its a 68 Coupe 3 speed I6 that actually ran great. The floors have holes in the front, the passenger fender and door skin need to be replaced but other than that she's pretty solid (frame and torque box's are solid).

Here she was when I got her:

1968 stang.jpg

1968 stang 2.jpg

Picture 688.jpg

Picture 689.jpg

Picture 690.jpg
  2. Mustang

Mustang Member
    from NY

Sweet car! Best of luck. Be sure to check the cowl vents. They are famous for leaking. I have a 66 coupe. They truly are beautiful cars.
  3. plowguy43

I wanted a V8 so I searched for a 302 and was planning on swapping an EFI motor from a Foxbody or other Ford/Lincoln/Mercury (Crown vic/grandmarquis/F150/250/350/Explorer/etc). I tossed the I6 on craigslist for $75 or trade towards a 302, well I had a guy bite who needed an I6 for a restoration he was doing on his neice's Falcon. He had a 74 (I think its a 75) 302 V8 that was complete and rebuilt 4 years back to go into his 66 Mustang. He ended up finding a 289 and wanted to keep the 66 as correct as possible so he never used it. He offered it as a straight swap for my I6 - once again I JUMPED on the deal. He also threw in some floor pans he had for my car (he does restorations on the side).

Here is pretty much where I'm at now, front end has been torn down, engine removed and the car is waiting to have the engine compartment stripped and coated with por15. I need to mount the frame brackets for the V8 (bolt right in), and it'll be ready to drop in. Also the V8 will work with my 3 speed as 67/68 and up shared the same tranny as V8's just a different bellhousing which was also swapped with the guy who gave me the V8 straight up.

After Christmas I'll be getting a fender and door skin then having the skin put on the door by a shop.

Picture 702.jpg

stang engine pull.jpg

stang engine pulled.jpg

Picture 737.jpg
  4. plowguy43

Oh god yes, that is my next endeavor. I'm thinking of bringing it to a shop and cutting the sides, replacing the cowl portions, then having it welded back up and worked by the shop. I'm also removing the top vinyl.

As far as the motor is concerned, I've got an HEI Distributor, and few other parts going on it soon. No pictures yet, don't ask why I keep meaning to get them.
  5. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

i got a 68 too - no pics though.

your 68 is late in 68 model year based on the rear quarter panel reflectors. the early 68's has a different style. while your converting the motor, convert the suspension too. I6's were 4 lug cars and the v8's were 5 lug. you probably have manual drum brakes all around. get front discs and a vacuum booster. the car will stop much better - it was a factory option in 68.

in addition to the cowls, the front bottom corners of the doors is a known problem area, as well as the rear decklid seam.

68 was the first year for the 302 (which just a 289 with a different crank).
  6. plowguy43

Yes I'm definitely converting it to a 5 lug setup, power brakes, and an 8" rear axle. The guy with the motor has an 8" ready to go for me $100. Just need to go pick it up LOL.

Thankfully all of those area's are really solid on this thing. I was very surprised after I removed the fenders and everything wasn't rusted to crap. The only repairs needed are the front floor pans and possibly the cowl (water was coming in after a rainstorm so I'm assuming they're gone).

Other than that, it'll be ready for some light body work and paint. Then its just piecing it back together on the interior/suspension/brakes.
  7. bacwudzme

bacwudzme Senior Member

Holy ***** cleanest ive ever seen that garageThumbs Up

nice car.:drinkup:
  8. DieselSlug

DieselSlug PlowSite.com Addict

Nice find! I would trade my fox for a Mustang in that era in a heartbeat.
  9. jimv

jimv Senior Member

since you like old fords here are my old ford 1 pic is my 1930 model a and sec pic is 57 Thunderbird

10. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

Nice car. I had a 66 coupe, sold it many years ago. Just got me a 85 GT with T-Tops i am working on.
  11. plowguy43

Thanks guys yes Pete I cleaned it up real nice for the car.

I've had 5 Mustang before that but this is my first classic I'm really excited to get working on it.
  12. MR. Elite

MR. Elite Senior Member
    from E Town

Very nice pony my friend... Im deff tuned in for this 1! Do U have n overall finished product plan in mind at all yet?
  13. plowguy43

Yes I'll have to post the pic on Monday cause I only have my phone, but its going to be a Viper/Shelby blue with either chrome or gun metal torque thrust wheels.
  14. f250harvest

f250harvest Member
    from CT

Looks good! I have the same style Coupe I'm restoring. Starting by sand blasting the frame/body and fix some rot that formed over they years. Thinking about dropping a built 03 Cobra/6spd.
  15. dukeman1019me

dukeman1019me Junior Member

I have a pretty beat 67 - 68 shell / body / suspension in my back yard, that came with the house.. Still has some of the chrome, bumpers etc. Not exactly sure what year it is. I'll post a couple pics if anyone wants.
  16. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

My father had a 67 fastback 390/4spd. He parked it in 76 and sold it to a fella in 96 from Vermont. He would not sell it to me in fear i would kill myself with it "we both had the same driving mentality and skill" so maybe he was on to something there. My father passed away shortly after. I still look for the car in hopes of trying to buy it back. I watch the car shows all the time but still have not found it. The car was sold with a very odd paint scheme " i am sure it has been stripped down by now" and it also has some rare options too that will make me recognize it right away. I have watched Hemmings motor news and other large car books/classifieds and have seen another car like it with its options. The car was numbers matching and came with extra parts to boot. The buyer was all excited to buy it. Excited enough that he went back to Vermont that afternoon from looking at it and came back with a backhoe to pull the car out of the barn. My father had to cut grooves in the door way for the door handles to clear when he backed it in. After sitting 20yrs the wheels were seized and it had to dragged out. They took air but would not turn so the guy went through hell pulling it out and he never hurt the car doing it.

His other baby was a 68 Shelby GT500 that he bought new in 1970 from a dealer in Long Island. The dealer was drag racing it for promotion so he bought it from the dealer with slicks on it and open headers. Imagine buying one like that now. He sold it to his best friend shortly later and he still has it. Last i spoke with him the car sat in his barn all restored and had not been started in 18yrs.
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  17. f250harvest

f250harvest Member
    from CT

I might be interested. I live 1 town over from southington. can you send me some pictures. 860 614 1551
  18. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

lets see some pics.. maybe it's a '67 Shelby GT500 or a '68 428 Cobra Jet!!!!!!
  19. plowguy43

Wow been months since I've updated this thread, and months since I've touched the mustang. Well since we had a good winter up here and my gamble with my account paid off well, I've purchased a few items for the mustang and have new plans for it.

I've since bought a welder - nothing special just a small one to do the floor pans.
    I've ordered:
    -Pass fender
    -Floor pans
    -Motor Mounts
    -Pass Door Skin
    -New Bumpers
    -Interior Door Panels

New plans are to swap in a 5.0 EFI with a T5 transmission. I went back and forth over this for months, and when I factored in all the parts to make my 3 speed work (Clutch Kit, Flywheel, Starter) plus I wanted to put a new 4 barrel carb and intake. All in I was looking at $800-$1000 in additional parts to get this 302 into the car.

I've found 2 cars for the swap for around that amount of money, one has a lot of new parts already on it plus extra's that I can sell off to make some money back. Plus it has the 5 lug conversion done so I can swap in the 8.8 axle as well. I'll grab some pictures as soon as this snow melts and I can get some stuff removed from my garage.
  20. DieselSlug

DieselSlug PlowSite.com Addict

The swaps are becoming easier and more affordable. You will love the drive-ability of the car with the EFI 302 and t-5, good combo.