1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My 06 Explorer plowing - short youtube.

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Tahoe99, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Tahoe99

Tahoe99 Member
    from NY

2. snowbear1

snowbear1 Member

homesteader plow

hey that seems to push the snow pretty good
    is it 61/2 or 71/2 i was thinking about getting one
    i have a snowbear now it,s ok but i like the fact that you can angle it inside the truck

3. Tahoe99

Tahoe99 Member
    from NY

My 06 Explorer plowing with Fisher Homesteader - short youtube

It's 6'-8", they come also as 7'-4". I just found that one on eBay and bought it for $ 1200. For what I need it for, it's great, but it's light so does not scrape that well if the snow is packed and driven over. I am missing few inches on both sides, thinking about adding some small wings, maybe.

BTW, it's a Fisher Homesteader.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  4. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

You seem to hold up longer then you need too. Dosent that one have a scrape lock setting?

5. Tahoe99

Tahoe99 Member
    from NY

What do you mean "holding too long" - my ears are open for any advices ?

You can have a float mode, or lock it in one position - I guess that's what you mean.

6. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

When you stack against the pile. It sounds like ur holding down the button for it too go up. But its already agasint the stops. So when you go to stack the pile as u roll into the pile it should just be a smooth easy lift. You dont wanna hear the motor go EhhhErrrr. and when u go to back away from the pile kind of like bump down and that will shake the snow thats stuck to the blade off. That way u dont end up dropping a big chunk of snow some place.

7. Tahoe99

Tahoe99 Member
    from NY

Cool, thanks.

I see, why stress the motor going up, it's there already, can't go any further.

8. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

Putting a plow on my wife's explorer now. Thanks for ruining her day....haha

9. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

The scraping problem isn't really about the weight of the plow, its about the snow in front of it. Because you're pushing straight forward, the snow is pushing straight back and lifting the plow. If you were plowing with the blade full angled, it would scrape right to the bottom.

Don't put wings on it. That blade is right for that car, adding width will make it scrape less and put more strain on the car.

I didn't think that exploders had frames? If no frame, be very gentle on it.

10. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

1991-2010 explorers were body on frame.

the 2011-up is a unibody.

11. Tahoe99

Tahoe99 Member
    from NY

Yep, 2010 was the last body on frame Explorer, available with v8.

12. jasonv

from kannada

I'll remember that.
    It is getting hard to find vehicles with frames besides full size cargo vans, pickups, and heavy trucks. And even then, stupid car makers (and stupid poser customers) are making things sort-of resembling pickups in unibody. Enough to make you gag. I've basically given up on the possibility of my wife's next vehicle having a frame. We don't need two pickups. She's going to need an SUV-ish type of vehicle. Probably going to do a Subaru. At least they offer MT and 4-wheel traction without forcing you into a gas guzzling slob sized engine.

13. Tahoe99

Tahoe99 Member
    from NY

Subarus are great, but test one before getting one. My wife has been driving 07 Tribeca, and it's a great car, no issues for over 60 k miles, but she averages about 15-16 mpg which is close to my 4.6 v8. She does a mix driving, but lot of it in town. Those engines like to rev to 4k rpm before getting into powerband. Otherwise it's one of the better vehicle built we have had. Fit and finish top class. I am just not looking forward to changing the sparkplugs on that flat H6. I think the wheels got to come off.

14. jasonv

from kannada

We would be going with one of the 4's. Outback/Forester/XV. Not time yet so haven't made the decision. Has to break 30 mpg highway no question.

15. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Love watching all these vids - my kids look at me like I am weird - where did I go wrong with them!!??? I tried...haha

16. Tahoe99

Tahoe99 Member
    from NY

That was the response from my wife who shot this vid:"You want to record - what ? Plowing ?" My daughter was excited to be on youtube :)