1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

mx7000 or edge lightbar?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ultimate plow, Jul 2, 2002.

1. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

hey yall,
    i want to decide what is better? a mx7000 code 3 lightbar? or a whelen edge bar? we are mounting it on a ford f-350 dump truck.
    thanks,

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Well it all depends i think that the code 3 is halogen rotators and if it is compared to strobes the stobes are better as far as electrical consumption.I think that the code 3 is a good looking bar but if i was to outfit a dump i would put stobes on one each conner of the cab protecter and 2 recesed into the rear body. and if you really need rotators weld or bolt on an extention in the middle of the cab protecter and put a small code 3 there.Then if you want to go more i would put hidaways in the front trun signals and another set in the rear.

3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I like to keep my plow trucks low keyed, I'd use a mini edge or use Cat's suggestion. Provide enough lighting to make yourself visible, but not so much to make a spectacle of yourself.

I do think the MX-7000 bar is one of the better lightbars for emergency services, the intersection lights on the lower level really attract a lot of attention when trying to clear traffic.

4. GMCplow

GMCplow Junior Member

The Code 3 MX7xxx series bar is available as all strobe, all halogen, or a combination. LED's are also available. The bar is available in a variety of lengths. The bars are basically custom built to order, so a variety of options can be added to suit a specific need, whether you choose halogen or strobe for the main modules.

In the halogen version, each 50w rotator in the bar will draw about 3.7 amps (4 rotators = 14.8 amp total), not including other options. The strobe version (four heads) will draw 7.5 amps total, not including other options.

Steven