1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MVP3 Trip question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Jeep_thing, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Jeep_thing

Jeep_thing Member

Hi- I have a brand new MVP3 with wings on a new F250SD and will be plowing a new property this season. The asphalt has not been top coated yet as we are still under construction. Therefore I have many (20) manhole covers and stormwater drain grates that stick up above the road surface 1 inch.

The last thing I want to do is hit one of these to test out the new plow trip so I ask here for advice.

Am I right that I should back drag over these instead of beating up the plow and myself by hitting them and hoping that it trips?
  2. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I don't think back dragging is the answer. Do you plow other properties as well. The edges trip pretty hard and I almost wonder if you couldn't put a weaker spring in for this year or a rubber edge.
  3. Jeep_thing

Jeep_thing Member

I just drove the property and marked the covers and grates on a map while inspecting them. The good news is that since most of the roads have a slope to them, the leading edges are more flush while the trailing edge sticks up and I'm sure the plow edge will just glide over them as long as I am hitting them in the right direction. There are 3 manholes that stick up evenly, I think I will try adding patch or cement to build up the surface around them.
  4. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Go slow and let the plow do what it is designed to do.

You might have to clean up after the trip edge gives at the manholes, but an inch is nothing to trip on.
  5. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

Would they allow you to put some temporary cold patch around them??? Will cost a few bucks and will probably get ripped up here and there but better then hitting them and damaging your equipment and possibly the entire concrete riser? Good luck
  6. Jeep_thing

Jeep_thing Member

Yes I can do that
  7. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

The plow will take the beating, it's the headlights that will shake apart.
  8. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

Charge them $100 bucks every time your plow trips. Same with pot holes if my customers don't fix them I fix them and send a bill
  9. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

I had a customer, new straight blade Western, new Dodge 2500. Doing an unimproved road like yours. His brother forgot about it, he was a rookie. I figured he was doing about 30. Broke the plow shocks, bent the trip frame pivot pins. Bent the truck frame. And other damage. Just mark out everything.
    LapeerLandscape likes this.