1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MVP3 acting funny

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by MSsnowplowing, Nov 13, 2014.

1. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

Okay I pulled the trigger and bought the MVP3 last year and loved it.
    Did a great job cut my plowing time down.

But:

Put on a new cutting edge -(why is the one from the factory only lasts one season?) that was a bit of a sticker shock for a new one.
    A lot more expensive than a cutting edge for my old pro plus.

Changed the fluid in the plow, its filled and did the movement up, down, right, left, scoop out, v in several times to insure its working.

Well the right side does not move as fast as the left putting it into the scoop mode or bringing it back to the v mode.

It is a lot slower and quite noticeable. It was not like this last season.

Locking it in a straight blade mode it works fine and moves fast.

It is just putting it into the scoop mode or v that the left side is a lot slower than the right.

I don't have any leaks in the hoses, I'm at a loss for why it is happening, it did not do this last year.

Any suggestions before I go back to the dealer?

2. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Bad packing in one of the angle cylinders? It caused slow movement for me.

3. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

My boss did the same thing after changing the oil, I put up with it last year for about a month and this year it fixed itself... The only thing I did different was change out my batteries this fall.

4. truckitup

truckitup Senior Member

The factory cutting edge is only 3/8 thick on that plow. I burned though mine by X Mas last year. Put the 1/2 inch on and it lasted the rest of the season. This year I am running a 5/8 cutting edge. found a person that makes them up, in Rochester NY, had to do some mods on the inter pieces.

As far as one side going a little slower when you use scoop my right side is a tad slower and has been since new. I have owned several MVP and they were the same thing going into scoop. I do love the MVP 3. Add some wings and you really will love it.

5. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome to Western!
    I'm sure if you bought the upgrade joy stick it would correct the problem. Ummmm. It's the electronics valves - notorious for single season happiness. If you rebuild - it just costs extra for no cure. Enjoy.

6. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

There is no single valve that only effects scoop and vee so I don't believe it's a valve. I don't know what the "upgrade joystick" is that scottl is talking about. There is only the handheld and one joystick and neither is considered an "upgrade." However, it wouldn't hurt to try a different controller just to eliminate it.
    I would try pulling the forward angle ram pins, then lift the plow just off the ground and then move the two wings by hand to see if there is any physical resistance. If the one wing is sticky the other will move faster until the fast wing hits the end of travel because the rams are fed fluid in parallel so the fluid will go to the one with the least resistance first. In straight blade mode the wings are locked and must move at the same speed.

7. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I was being a bit funny about the joystick. I just remembered that when mine started to act slow after half a season I just got the BS run around. I did get it quicker but never like new. I just think that in this industry companies we buy from think we are all knuckle heads and will accept any cheap crap.

8. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Sorry you didn't get the service you needed. There are a lot of hacks out there and, as you will see on this site, there are lots of people who know their "*hit" and give incredibly detailed and helpful information for free. In fact I think I can say that there is a crew on this site that compete to figure out peoples problems. The one who gets it right, earns the glory..... You should have come here (to the plowsite) when you got the run around....

9. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

update now:
    too busy during the summer, it seemed to correct itself with all the snow I pushed in Feb.

Still seems a little slower but, that just might be me.

thanks everyone for the answers.

have a good upcoming season