1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

mvp wont raise in scoop

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by hawkfan, Dec 14, 2010.

1. hawkfan

hawkfan Junior Member
    from Iowa

Hey guys, I had a problem awhile back with the left wing not holding its position. I pulled all of the valve and found a couple metal shavings in the primary relief valve for the left cylinder. We finally got snow this last weekend and it seems to be fixed. But now when I have the plow in full scoop mode the plow wont raise. It just makes a straining noise until I start to bring both wings back. If I have it in full vee it goes up fine, but have the wings any farther ahead and it starts to strain.I don't remember if I checked that after I got the valves back in or not so I don't know if it is something I caused or not. Any ideas where to start? Hopefully something just needs adjusted. Thanks for your help.

2. hawkfan

hawkfan Junior Member
    from Iowa

About forgot to mention it is 6 years old and is a flostat if it matters.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Does it come up at normal speed in Vee? Could just be low on fluid. With both wings in Scoop, the fluid may be too low in the reservoir.

4. hawkfan

hawkfan Junior Member
    from Iowa

Ya I thought low fluid at first too. But it is right up to the top of the hole with the rams in. It may be a little slow to raise in vee. This plow has never exactly been fast since I bought it new.

5. DIRISHMAN

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

sounds like you may have flush out old fluid and replace with new as well as buy a filter kit and replace and change filter. Hope this is of helpThumbs Up
    the best way I can describe this and easy easy to understand is like if you were to have a glass of icetea with a straw and you were to suck up a lemon seed it would limit the flow of tea you would be drinking not complete;y stopping but merly reducing the flow.But now you blow thru the straw and pus the seed out the flow of tea is now restored for your drinking pleasure.Same thing with fluid and a filter Filter clogged and limiting fluid to plow for raising issue.May have some metal in pump filter????

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it's full of fluid an not an MVP Plus then the pickup tube is off. Quite common if it never received the updated filter kit or retainer bracket.

7. hawkfan

hawkfan Junior Member
    from Iowa

I dont think it is a mvp plus, at least it doesn't say it on the the plow or manuals any way. If the pick up fell off would that affect the up cylinder only? I'll pull the reservoir here shortly and see what I find. Is the filter kit that Dirishman reffered to a updated piece or is it a good idea to replace it?

8. hawkfan

hawkfan Junior Member
    from Iowa

I took the reservoir off and the pickup and return filters are all in place like they should be. When I removed the reservoir I left the fluid in it so I could look at it. There was no chunks or shavings but when I shined my flashlight into the fluid you could see really fine metal, kinda like dust. However I swirled a magnet around in the fluid and it didn't seem to attract anything. Thanks for the help

9. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd change out that fluid if there is any type of metal in it at all.

10. DIRISHMAN

Absolutley I agree to with plowguy change the fluid anyway 50.00 buck for fluid now or 500.00 later for let it go.......

11. DIRISHMAN

1 more thing HEY PLOWGUY trans fluid or hydro fluid heard both can bee used just wondering what your take on this is Thumbs Up

12. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

We've always just ran ATF. But they get changed at the beginning of every season, and mid season if its been a busy year.

13. DIRISHMAN

yah I have been using the new blue hydro stuff good to 50 below zero but more expensive to buy next time ill try atf

14. hawkfan

hawkfan Junior Member
    from Iowa

I changed fluid and flush it out best I could, no change, no surprise there! I pulled the s1, s2 and s3 solenoids and cartridges hoping to see something obvious, didn't see anything. It has the primary and secondary reliefs for the angling, is there not a valve for going up? Maybe the pump relief valve? I would think that would affect everything else if I did not get it adjusted right.

15. plowguy43

I used ATF once and it got very slow when cold and always got frothy with air causing problems. May have just been my case but I run SAM Blue plow fluid from any autoparts store. Not very expensive and works much better IMO.

It almost sounds like you have an electrical problem with it. Can you hook it up on another truck?

16. Woodenshoe

Woodenshoe Member

Its probably the primary pump pressure relief valve (or the pump is wearing out). It does not take much pressure to extend and retract the wings (unless your parked against a snowbank), but with the wings extended it puts the weight further out from the truck, thus increasing the required power (pressure) to lift a simple lever.

FYI: I do not know where the valve is without looking it up, but I'm quite sure its in the manual.

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I would agree now knowing the pickup tube is intact. Check and set the pump relief to 1800 PSI. If it won't produce that much then the gear pump is worn.

18. hawkfan

hawkfan Junior Member
    from Iowa

Yep that was it! I adjusted all of the valves back to where they were at before I tore it apart looking for the previous problem. But I must not of got that one back to where it was. I will need to get a tee and gauge made to get it exact tomorrow, but at least we know whats goin on now. Thanks for the help it is greatly appreciated!

19. plowguy43

Nice, now post some pictures of it! We're picture *****s!lol