1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MVP with shoes

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by shott8283, Mar 31, 2011.

1. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

do you have to use the shoes with a V plow? I know they arnt required for straight blades but I wasnt sure if they are really needed for V's or now.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Paper weight.
  3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

New v plows come with the shoes but they are not required. Many operators replace the cutting edge but don't replace the shoes. I don't know anyone who believe they are essential; theoretically they will make your cutting edge last longer but that is debateable.
  4. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I've ran mvp's for about 6-7 years and never ran the shoes.
  5. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

ok thanks guys. im new with a V plow and was curious if since the shape changes and the weight distribution across the cutting edge changes it the shoes were mandatory.
  6. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Get some winter equipment carbon curb guards and they will extend the life of your blade greatly on your mvp. They protect ur blade edges on the end an slow down the wear on the bottom edge. $130 and they r a great investment.e
  7. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

thanks Burkart ill check them out
  8. mishnick

The one thing you should have a look at to ensure long cutting edge life is the proper configuration. V plows MUST be configured so that the A frame is square (parallel) to the ground when in the down position. If the plow is too hight or too low it will wear out the inside and outside edges prematurely. I am not sure if you have a uni or ultra mount so I won't get into adjustment. Just have a look or better yet place a little torpedo level on the a frame with the plow down and the truck on a level floor.
  9. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

its an '05 9'6" MVP Ultra

just from eyeballing it I believe it has to be adjusted. the points that go into the horns on the truck tend to point up when I back out .. the guy I bought the plow from had it set maxed all the way up b/c he had it on his 06 cummins which sat pretty tall. my 03 hemi plow package sits just a touch lower and when i back out of it , the plow frame section seems to want to settle slightly pointed up. ill see if i can take a pic.

i believe if i drop one hole on the brackets it will help. but i havnt checked with a level at all.

thanks for the tip!
  10. mishnick

If it has been moved from one truck to another you MUST recheck the configuration. And don't forget the secondary adjustments. These bolts are on the rear end of the A frame where the pivot plates are. There are either multiple holes (in addition to the four in the config plate) or bolts in sliding wedges.