1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MVP with isolation module wiring problems.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by fortydegnorth, Dec 15, 2008.

1. fortydegnorth

fortydegnorth Senior Member

I bought a used MVP that came off a 1999-2004 Ford super duty and I'm installing it on a 2000 super duty. I hooked the plow side up to another truck and it works perfectly. I tried both controllers with the plow and they worked perfectly. On the 2000 the pins on the truck side for the controller were smashed so I ordered new pins and installed them. I crimped them as best I could and then soldered them to ensure a good connection. When I hook the plow up the headlights switch to the plow but thats it. I have no marker lights, turn signals, or pump controls at all. The controller will not power up either. I have the switched power lead hooked up and it has power with a probe with the key on. I have to believe its either the controller pins or the iso module, any suggestions. I have no idea how to test anything to see if something is hooked up wrong or something is bad. I followed the western instructions and compared to the working truck and everything seems correct. I checked the inline fuses and they are all good. I've installed 9 plows and this thing has me stumped. Thanks in advance.

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

is the black/orange wire on the negative term of the battery? and on the motor neg?

3. fortydegnorth

Yes, the black wire with the orange stripe and the eyelet is conected to the negative side of the battery and then plugged into the harness right at the solenoid. It plugs into the little weatherpak plug. I'm missing power somewhere whether through a ground problem or power feed problem. Does the solenoid need to ground to the frame through the mounting bolt?

4. Gix1k4

Gix1k4 Senior Member

Yes, the solenoid should be bolted to something steel.

5. fortydegnorth

I got it! Thanks for all the suggestions. I made the dumb a** mistake of the year. I hooked up the small orange wire on the solenoid up to the switched side instead of the constant hot. I even checked that last night but it was dark and I thought I had it right. At least it was an easy fix!

6. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Solenoid DOES not need to be bolted to anything for a ground, the black/orange wire on the small terminal on the solenoid is the ground.