1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MVP wing questions

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by acresmax, Oct 7, 2012.

1. acresmax

acresmax Junior Member
    from Ontario

I have a 8.6 MVP Plus. It is 1 year old. I am considering buying the Western wings. I have done some searching on this forum, and at my Western dealer. Still no real answers. Questions are as follows. What is the overall plow width with wings on in both straight mode and full V & Scoop? I have heard stories of people getting fined for being too wide while travelling on the road. There are guys around here with 9.6 V-plows so I don't see the setup that I want being any wider. To those of you who have these wings, are you happy with them? Are they holding up well? I mostly plow as a sub, doing parking lots, paid by the route, regardless of snow fall. If it is a big storm, and I have to do the route again just to clean up, I get paid again. So I guess the real question is do the wings help enough with overall efficiency and by how much. I do alot of wind-row plowing as well as scoop. Depending on snow depth, I can windrow about half a blade width maybe a little more. I know the wings will help with taking a wider pass, the question is by how much?
    Thanks in advance.

2. acresmax

acresmax Junior Member
    from Ontario

If anyone has these wings installed could you please post a picture of them.
    Thanks again.

3. acresmax

acresmax Junior Member
    from Ontario

I know I'm the knew kid on the block, but nobody? :)

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have that same plow with the wings.
    If you are in full V going down the road with the wings you will be wider then a 9'6" plow. Reason is these wings sit on an angle, I think 30 degrees, so when you are in V they are sticking straight out making it wider. The wings themself add 6" to each side of the plow. They are very quick to take off so if you are worried just take them off and put them back on when you get there. When windrowing they will make a huge difference. Depending on the depth of the snow you might be able to take 90 percent of the blade. If you have a lot of windrowing to do you should take off the trailing wing as it will catch the snow instead of letting it roll down the blade. In scoop it will hold a lot of snow, much more then without them.

Biggest down side is you have to lift the plow before hitting the curb with the wing. The cutting edges are rubber and you will rip them off if you hit them hard too many times.

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Are you running any help on the front end of the truck? They do add a bit of weight. I have 3 trucks just like yours and I have gussets, timbrens and the torsion bars turned up on all of them.
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=68171

6. truckitup

truckitup Senior Member

Here is a pic of my truck. wings new this year. 8.6 MVP Plus with wings. last year I used a MVP 9.6 with out wings, They come on and off very easy.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

You can tell by his picture that the trailing wing is going to hold the snow. If you have a large lot you are better to drop the trailing wing. It takes less then 1 minute.

8. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I use the Western wings on my 8.5" MVP. They work great. I leave them on pretty much all of the time, but I just do personal plowing (my driveway and a neighbors, but they are largte driveways).

Have a picture posted here http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?p=1399430#post1399430

Never have had an issue driving around with them, other than the tips may scrap a bit when you go over bumps or depressions because I drive around in V mode.

They work really great not only for controlling where the snow goes, but also in stacking.

The only minor downside is that they don't allow the snow to fly off the edge of the plow as well when your windrowing fast, but it's not that much of an issue.

9. acresmax

acresmax Junior Member
    from Ontario

I have the torsion bars turned up a full 2 1/2 inches measured at the plow mount and a set of the Buyers off brand timbrens. I would like a set of gussets but have been unsuccesful in locating any in Ontario. Hoping you can point me towards a set. I have been told that gussets should be welded in by a 'licensed frame welder' . Thanks for your help.

10. acresmax

acresmax Junior Member
    from Ontario

Thanks for the help everyone, it is very appreciatted.