1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MVP / Wideout compatability

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by michdeere, Jan 18, 2009.

1. michdeere

michdeere Member

I'm currently running MVP ultramounts. Does the Wideout use the same truck mount/wiring? I'd like to be able to run either plow on either truck. Thanks.
  2. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

Funny you should ask...I just asked my dealer the same thing and he said yes. But said the wideout to to heavy for my 3/4 truck.
  3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

i think the controller is different. wont hurt anything to try.
  4. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

my buddys v plow will not do a damn thing to my straight blade
  5. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Controllers are the same

They are totally different wiring. You can run a straight blade on a Vplow truck with the plug adapter and a straight blade controller. I do it all the time. My own trucks get wired for V's no matter what.

And yes, the wideout should work.
  6. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

ohhhhhhh......what about running a v on a straight truck?..

and cost of said parts?
  7. michdeere

michdeere Member

Am I to believe that you can only run a Wideout on a 1 ton or bigger? (Looking at the video on Western's website they show a wideout on what looks like a 3/4 ton chevy) I probably don't dare even ask about putting it on my '08 cc Duramax. From what I read, it's not recommended to put any plow on this truck. I haven't talked to my dealer yet, but any guess on a price for a Wideout w/out mounts & wiring? I can assemble it myself. Thanks!
  8. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Negative. You'd be missing 3 needed wires and they're all in different spots in the plug anyhow. The plug adapter for the opposite is like $50.
  9. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Uses the same mount, wiring and you should be able to use a v controller to run the wideout.
  10. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

He didn't look at the weight and to see if it was for a 1 ton or larger. That was just a guess on his part. My main question like yours was the wiring, and that it was compatible(it is). Sorry for the confusion.
  11. michdeere

michdeere Member

Looks like the Wideout is about 75 lbs heavier than the MVP. I would guess with ballast and Timbrens, a 3/4 ton would handle it alright. I'll have to check pricing tomorrow.
  12. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Let's not get crazy here.....

No truck made in modern times can really handle the weight of the MVP or wideout ( fricken pigs ). You need to install Timbrens and add a bunch of ballast otherwise your ticking the clock down to damage town.

On this ultramount straight blade and MVP ultramount .... why does the harness on the blade of a straight use female ends while the mvp uses males ends??? Just how they put them together in china?
  13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Just to clarify this a bit...

And MVP and a Wide-Out ARE NOT interchangeable wiring or controller wise due to the Wide-Outs multiplex wiring..

However, an MVP PLUS and a Wide-Out are interchangable...because they both use the same Multiplex system wiring/controller.

Have to clarify what you have when you say "MVP".
  14. michdeere

michdeere Member

Thank you B&B. As stated, I have an MVP, not an MVP Plus. I suppose my question is now answered. (though not exactly what I wanted to hear!) Thanks again.
  15. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

AHHHH, I have the plus
  16. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I was quoted a little over $6k for a Wideout installed on my truck. So you could probably figure around $5,500 or so for the plow.