1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

mvp western plow wont angle

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by uppercut, Jan 5, 2014.

1. uppercut

uppercut Junior Member

ive got a three way western plow mvp pump with three silonoids on the side,the blade goesnup and down but it wont turn either way it was -40 a couple of days ago the plow was workin fine the itmwarmed up and it wouldnt turn so i thought there was moisture in the system so i put a heat gun to it for a couple of hours drained the fluid replacsed it with dexron three i filled it by the lower resivoir then the topped up the top the pump makes noise trying to angle but it looks like it raises a little when i try to angle it i wasnt sure how to check it sounds like it could be dirty but or one silonoid is not working wondering if anybody has test procedures or same problem or how to flush properly advise in general ime two hours from nearest dealer thanks
  2. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

At -40 (F?) you may have problems with Blue sludging up. Dexron 3 certainly will thicken and slow or stop hydraulic function at that temp.

A proper cleaning includes:
    - draining and cleaning the reservoir and filter
    - draining the rams and hoses
    - cleaning the manifold (and cartridges and valves) if necessary

Refill all (purge, maybe repeatedly) and use.
  3. uppercut

uppercut Junior Member

no angle

i took out the three valves cleaned them its only -5c now flushednthe fluid twice on one of angle ram it gets fluid the other has nothing comin out when you put the blade up it wants to turn it make the ridht sound goin upmbut when you go to angle it makes a diferent sound like a valve s stuck open the silinoids do they have to have power or ground or do i have to take the pump right off to servive the valve body whats next
  4. uppercut

uppercut Junior Member

Wheres the filterin the resevoir
  5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The reservoir is a black metal can on the bottom of the pump assembly. Take off four small screws to remove it. In the bottom u will find the magnet. Clean that while it's open. The sump screen (filter) will b visible now. It's a white plastic thing coming out of the bottom of the pump assembly.
    DeIn the reservoir, the hoses and the rams but don't pull the valves. That's asking for trouble. Just refill it with blue plow fluid and run it. That little bit of ATF in the valves will be diluted so much it will have no effect.
  6. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

Short of a plugged filter or bad solenoid, you have a stuck/contaminated cartridge...and possibly more contamination in the system. In which case you will have to remove the cartridge.

It pays to be methodical: If it's contamination, find the source, cure it, and clean as I stated above. If it is only a bad solenoid or cartridge, that's easy, and a five minute repair.