1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MVP Wear

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by J.Henderson, Jan 27, 2003.

1. J.Henderson

J.Henderson Senior Member

I finally got to use my new plow for 1/2 hour and in the scoop position, it seemed to leave behind snow in the middle of each path.

How long does it take until the MVP blade wears enoough that snow is no longer left under the blade in the scoop position?

2. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Thats what I always wondered about the V's if they would leave behind snow or not. Some other guys on here say that they dont leave any snow behind at all, if adjusted properly. Maybe one of them can shed some light on that for you. Mike
  3. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

never had that happen in the scoop position.but it does leave a small little line maybe 4 inches wide when using it in the V position or just pushing to the right or left straight.not much you can do to keep it from doing that.a U edge works better than the steel from what im told.im still learning about my western MVP first season using it.
  4. Mac

Mac Member

on the boss v plows there is a boot in the center

sometimes the blade's cutting edge are a little wide then the boot usllay they just wear down and everything is fine.

sometimes running down the highway LATE A NIGHT with the blade down helps to. BUT BE CAREFULL
  5. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

I don't know which "shoe" is currently used for production. I can say that the replacement shoe of a different design was GARBAGE by comparison to the one that came stock. Western needs to have a polyurethane shoe made or something. If that is the worst that can be said about the MVP, they still are doing alright.

I just hate having a $4000 plow with a small but nagging problem. The new shoe is not made of a durable enough material and is quite different than the original from what I can remember of both shoes (been a while since I paid attention to either item since the plow is now a backup unit).

I'd bet if you get rid of the "garbage" shoe and custom fit it with a polyurethane shoe, your problem will be long forgotten.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2003
  6. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Western MVP here that dosn't leave a trail. Scoop the edge's butt up together & nothing gets left behind. Angled works fine too. Never really noticed in the V position, Only time I used that was going down the road last winter with the blade fully up plowing 3+ft of snow.

I did notice the plow leaving a slight trail not only where the center piece it... I resolved that by removing my plow shoes.
    That also helped a lot with angled/ridged drives as the shoes would casue the blade to slightly raise up unstead of truly following the pavement...
  7. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I have seen at least 4 different designs for this area. My design in the easiest. A piece of urethane anywhere from 1/2" to an inch thick, 6" wide and 15-12" long. The 15" long piece will bolt in to both bolts on each side near the center, and the 12" long piece just uses the center bolts. Ihave a 12" wide piece on one of my MVPS and a 15" long piece on the other.
    IMO the 12" works fine.
    I readjusted one of my poly edges on sat, and I cut a new center piece to fit, took about 5 min, to cut drill and install. Very easy to do, and works great. I cut the bottom to a 10 degree angle as well, and left it a 1/2" shy of the front. We used the plow this am, and it worked great.
    Call for details, I have some 1" material around, and can and drill a piece if anyone needs it.
  8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I just plowed today with my (new to me)used MVP .There were no issues with the center wiper setup at all.It worked perfectly.I had the stock steel edge.I ordered a U edge for it today,It has been a while since I plowed with a steel edge,and I can say I do not miss it one bit.This center ruber seems to be better than the Boss RT3 setup,not becasue it scrapes better,the Boss center shoe doesnt miss anything either,but because the Boss center shoe is $$$,and its sits out front where its vunurable to being sheered right off ,especially in the v position.
  9. KenP

KenP Senior Member

I have heard about that happening however my MVP leaves no lines anywhere, in fact I think it wipes the pavement better than the blade edge. I do think that there is an adjustment (but I'm not sure). Let us know how you make out.
  10. EIB

EIB Senior Member

Who did you order the u edge from.
  11. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

EIB, I ordered my edge from Dino(Plowking35). He is the one you want to buy from for these reasons , he runs what he sells,so he knows it inside and out,you wont find someone who knows more about the U edges than Dino, period. He ships fast and is just a good guy and with his money back guarantee,you cant go wrong. Id never get my money back,I really love the U edges,cant say enough good about them.Im picky as any of the regualrs know I have high expectations.and these edges have met and exceeded my expectations.Plwoing this last storm with a steel edge was actually a good thing.I forgot just how rough they were on you,and the truck.