1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

mvp vs. wideout

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Mvplc2010, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Mvplc2010

Mvplc2010 Junior Member

Plow Question,
    I will be getting a new truck this spring and will be selling my 8' western with it. i cant decide weather to get a new 8' 6" MVP PLUS V-plow or the 8'-10' Wideout which my father has. any opinions out there. Preferably someone who has ran one of each

2. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Welcome to plowsite.

There are a few threads... actually lots on this topic.
    check out search feature and look in the western forum part also.

I know there is a good comparison of a v blade (boss) and a blizzard plow that alaskaboss did. It compared many things. I know that they are not the same plow but the same ideas.

I have a mvp and a wideout. Infact I have swapped the plows to the same truck even and compared. There are a few things which I would have to say

The wideout will allow you to have the wings in scoup and turn a corner... walk the snow around in a sence. The v in Scoup will not allow you to angle the blade.
    After running a wideout then going to a v this bothered me... I was always trying to angle the blade and I couldnt. Ofcourse on the route that I was doing was a big condo side where we move snow to a few final piles. The v involved me stageing the snows in a spot that taking long passes to the final pile where with the wideout I could go from start to finish around corners ect but no carry as much some times.

The V with wings will smoke a wideout in capacity but you might not be able to push it if its heavy or if you dont have the weight.

again... lots of reading.
    If I would have actaully had a few more storms I was going to compare the two on the same lots... but I dont have snow. we only got 4 plows this year. normally 20

Enjoy

ps - whatever you do... dont ask about salt on concrete... what the going rate is for a driveway or the gvrw of trucks. start with the calender girls thread.. lol :drinkup:

3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have both but my wideout is an 810 Blizzard. What type of plowing will you be doing? They both have their advantages. I have wings on my MVP and it will move a lot of snow. If you are doing wide open areas with a lot of windroeing then the wideout will shine. If you are moving snow to specific areas and you are working in confined spaces then the MVP would be best.

4. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

It depends on what you are plowing

5. Mvplc2010

Mvplc2010 Junior Member

We plow almost every type of lots out there. From huge church lots. To smaller complicated lots with of islands in them. To half mile long mountain side drive ways that are enough to scare the snot out of you. To huge stone foundry lots that totally suck when the ground isnt frozen. Any other suggestions out there

6. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

Well either way you cant go wrong! i've plowed with both but in my opinion the wideout is much more versatile. You need to decide what you have more of big open places or smaller stuff. i have a huge lot that the wideout saved me so much time that i picked up a few more small places half way through the year that i wouldn't have been able to do last year. Everyone says you can stack more with a v and that's bs i guarantee you can stack ever bit as well. I know there are some horror stories out there about the wideout but mine has been great, a friend that plows a lot bought a v plow and had it in the shop several times and mine is just fine it really just the luck of the draw sometimes you get a good one sometimes you dont just like anything you buy. Well that my suggestion for what its worth.

7. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

MVP where in Boyertown are you plowing mountainsides? For the most part around here an 810 would be more useful because we don't get much snow normally. I did however have a situation this year with all the snow we had where I could have used a V. If you'd like we can talk face to face at sometime.