1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MVP v Plow HELP!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by dines78, Aug 23, 2013.

1. dines78

dines78 Junior Member

Need help diagnosing my v plow. Last storm of the season my plow went down. I lost all function except raise so at least I was able to get it back to the shop. When I try any of the functions the motor runs and the wings try to perform the requested function but they just move very little then the pump times out. Along with this the pump is very loud and sqealing sounding. So, I pulled the unit off the plow and completely disassembled it. I removed every solenoid, valve cartridge, check valve, relief valve, reservoir cover, pump, and filter. I cleaned everything and blew out with compressed air. I check resistance on all solenoids. Everything looked clean inside the unit before and after the cleaning. I then lubed everything and reassembled the unit and set the reliefs to factory specs. Then installed a 3000 psi gauge in the test port and filled reservoir with fresh fluid. I now have most all functions and the pump sounds quiet and smooth again. the pressure is testing right at 2250 psi as it should be. The only function I don't have is scoop. When I push scoop the wings make it about to about straight blade from vee position and it seems like I loose pressure and the pump times out. If I push scoop again the wings will eventually get to scoop but very slowly and the pump makes a lot of noise. If I keep the plow in vee position and only run one wing at a time out and back they work fine. But if one wing is out and I try to run the other wing out it will loose pressure and time out. With this unit having 11 solenoids and valve cartridges I'm kind of lost as to what I need to check. Any help or some direction would be great. I already have the mechanics guide from Westerns website.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Does it do the same for putting it in V mode ?

3. dines78

dines78 Junior Member

From full scoop position the wings start to retract kind of slow but once they hit that straight blade point they come right back to vee position no problem. I noticed when trying to go to scoop position the right (PS) wing goes all the way out first but the left (DS) doesn't make it. The pump times out and I have to push scoop again and hold it to force that wing out. Weird thing is, once the wings are out to full scoop, the pump will continue to run as long as I hold the button. But I can tell there is no pressure there, it just sounds like a free motor running. Almost like a valve is stuck open and just letting the pressure blow by instead of directing it to the wings. All the other position will build pressure once they come to full stop and let you know its time to let go of the button.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like its low on fluid. If its the same deal as the Fisher XV you need to overfill the. And let the excess blow out the breather

Or perhaps the pickup tube is loose? Not intimately familiar with the setup.

Does it work differently when the blade is raised vs down?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013