1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MVP Unimount reservoir bulging

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by BlindViper, Jan 31, 2010.

1. BlindViper

BlindViper Junior Member

The res on my Unimount is pushing off the motor from the mounting bolts. It pushes off far enough that the oring doesn't seal and it pukes all the fluid. I thought maybe I over filled it the first time, but the 2nd and 3rd time I know it was right. Anyone have some thoughts on this?

The red circles are the bolts.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

when you put the reservoir back together, did you tighten them real good (#10-24x5/16)?

I might also use "lock tight" the blue instead of the red?

To me the only way those or any bolts come loose or spin out would be due to too much vibration.

Or maybe too much air in the system and it has no way to release the pressure??

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  3. BlindViper

BlindViper Junior Member

The bolts are tight, its the res its like it gets pressurized and it separates from the housing. The res is still touching where the bolts are it pushes off at the rest around the oring. But at the same time number 79 in the picture is the cap and it has a vent in it.

4. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

So the breather plug itself is not venting out. If that the case, them I would replace the breather plug and see what happens.Or there might be something in the breather plug that is clog (something stopping the pressure from escaping)?

5. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

replace the fill cap/vent plug part #79

6. BlindViper

BlindViper Junior Member

So I spoke to my dealer he said the mechanic gave him a confused look. But he told me the tank only force on it is suction. So if the vent was not working I would think it would crush the res. So I guess that leaves that it must have had to much fluid in it. The dealer told me the blade should be down and in the v position. I have been checking it in the down straight position. I guess the fluid is blocking the vent and causing the tank to pressurize.

7. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

If you have to much fluid it usually pushes fluid out the vent cap or if you have way to much fluid it blows the top off the cap (trust me, been there). I cant remember if that cap has a duck bill type diaphragm which sometimes failed on the exhaust side. What are you out if you replace the cap?

8. BlindViper

BlindViper Junior Member

Well I have no problem replacing the cap, but I kinda want the issue fixed before the next event. Its kinda a pain in the ass to remove the res and straighten it in the field. Maybe I will just add a nice 3/4" vent in the tank. :)

9. sdaigh

sdaigh Junior Member

I had this happen to me the first time i checked the fluid and added some, problem was i didn't have the blade in V position, i did make sure to push the lift ram all the way down by hand though... so i overfilled it and the next time i put it in V position the fluid couldn't go out the vent fast enough and bowed the cover... after i removed and straightened the cover and filled it correctly i havent' had anymore issues