1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mvp - truck died - can't lower plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by seville009, Jan 8, 2015.

1. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Truck slowly died while plowing. Plow was raised while i was trying to rev the engine. Anyone know how to liwer the blade when there is no truck power?

8.5' mvp

Thanks

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Either jumper cables
    Or crack the lift ram hose loose to bleed out the fluid

3. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Thanks. Put a jumper box on; could hear buzzing, but couldn't get any power. Was't sure if there was maybe a "quick release" trick somewhere.

4. dieselss

What was buzzing?

5. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Couldn't tell - was close to the front if the engine (was dark). Truck had been running for about ten minutes. Things dimmed, so stopped to let it rev up. Everything slowly died. Is 4 below zero here. Battery is only 2 years old.

6. dieselss

Ok. Try the jumper cables or the hose removal

7. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Yup - will do that. Thanks.

8. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Went back to the truck with a new booster pack. Open the doir to pop the hood and my interior lights come on. Truck starts right up. No clue what happened. Was completely dead then it wasn't.

9. dieselss

Might be the main battery connectors. Or at the starter. Or the fuse boxes

10. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

If the truck is dead, don't lower the blade! Tough to move with plow on the ground. Does sound like you have connectivity issue. Check all your power connections as previously suggested.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  11. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Luckily it happened in my driveway. My other truck is set up for the same plow, so I wanted to pull it off the dead truck and put it on the other truck. Once I got it started again, ran it for about an hour and it didn't die again, although it acted like it was going to do it again at one point (but I may have just been overly paranoid about it).

Have the problem truck down at the dealer now getting checked out.

Thanks for all of the replies

12. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Gas or diesel truck? Almost sounds like the fuel started to gel or something.

13. dieselss

Wouldn't cause no battery power if the fuel gelled

14. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Is gas. Dealer can't find any issues other than the belt slipping a bit. Belt wasn't squealing much when it happened, but it may be that all of the snow dust that gets in there didn't melt quick or just froze into ice since it was so cold, and the belt just couldn't grip enough to charge.

15. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I would have alternator tested. If alternator is weak it will drain battery until it can no longer keep the truck running. And if you let a good battery sit it will regain its charge.

You can use a volt meter for quick test. Check voltage with truck off then again with truck running.

16. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Dealer tested everything and all looked good. Changed out the belt and adjusted the tensioner. We'll see, I guess. I get critters in the engine compartment, so it's possible that they are causing issues, but probably not the cause this time.

17. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

To answer the original question.... to lower the blade you can pull the cover off the valves and jump the S1. Even a 9 V transistor battery across the pins should be enough to drop it. That way you don't loose any fluid or risk getting dirt in the system. The S1 is the closest valve to the front of the plow. But watch your toes!!!
    Since the coils all have a common ground (blk / org) you can use a jumper wire from battery + to the pin with the light blue wire.

18. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Thanks; good info to have.

19. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Thought the MVP needed two valves to lower. Think the S1 is one of them but can't remember which was the other.

20. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

"Thought the MVP needed two valves to lower. Think the S1 is one of them but can't remember which was the other." My compliments for picking that up..... Kimber750 Thumbs Up
    That's true for the MVP, S1 and S3 must both be activated to lower, I missed the "MVP" thing. That changes the common wire too. MVP has a common red + to all the coils so you just need to disconnect the white/yellow and light green wires from those two coils and ground them out. Note that the truck ignition must be on to activate the common +. Those two valves are the front and middle on the drivers side.