1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MVP trip

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Whiffyspark, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

We have an old MVP. Its an ultra mount, but not mvp plus. I think it was from right before they switched to MVP plus.

Anyway, we keep shearing all the bolts on the left cutting edge no matter how slow we go.

If we put a pipe wrench on it the edges move and it'll trip. So nothing is seized. The springs don't have an adjustment nut like the MVP plus.

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

it's got grade 8 bolts in it?

3. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Yup. Been through 20 of them.

Right side is fine

4. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

You using Plow bolts I thinking Plow bolts are Grade 5 (thinking)

I used grade 8s once and broke them when was really cold out

This year I needed 2 bolts and didn't have time get some. So I put in grade 8s and last cold blast broke both of them but didn't break any regular plow bolts.

5. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

That does and doesn't make sense. But Ive heard grade 8 is brittle when it comes to stresses. That would explain it

6. Antlerart06

Bolted joints are usually designed so that the frictional forces between the items is greater than the shear force present at the joint. To achieve this the screw is torqued to value to tension the bolt and compress the items; in essence creating a spring-like assembly. This applied tension is called a preload.

Why the proper torque is required; you need to achieve the desired pre-load. This along with the proper fastener will give you a safety valve for your truck's frame by allowing the bolt to stretch under overload before breaking. This protection allows the bolt to stay intact rather then totally failing and helps prevent the cracking or bending of frame components. This is why checking the torque on your plow mount hardware should be a part of your pre-season maintenance schedule. Loose bolts should not be just tightened they should be removed and replaced by new hardware of the proper type.

Why every manufacturer uses a combination of hardware. Grade 8 bolts are too brittle as compared to too strong for some applications. A grade 8 bolt will shear when a grade 5 would be soft enough to take the impact.

Note Western provides nothing but Grade 5 hardware with these mounts. The metric hardware they include is 10.9 metric slightly harder then grade 5 but not grade 8 by any means

7. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

correct, the bolts on all the mounts are Gr5, but Western's cutting edge carriage bolts are Gr8. your torque idea might be the answer though.

8. Antlerart06

I just look at my 9.6 Vplow and cutting edge bolts are Gr5 I buy all the bolts from western dealer

9. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Thanks. He went by dealer yesterday and they looked it over and replaced the grade 8s with cutting edge bolts. $5 a piece lol

10. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

Western's edges for all their cutting edges are Gr8, except for maybe the Surburbanite, and a few other oddballs. and they all come with bolts, so you should have gotten gr8 with the edges, and they shouldn't charge you extra for them.
    If your Western distributor is buying aftermarket then they probably don't come with bolts, and the bolts they buy to use with them may not be Gr8. they may not even be Gr5.

11. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

We put grade 8 bolts from HD in it. And they kept snapping

12. Antlerart06

last package and on the heads it was stamp grade 5 I even think the package said western I'll have to check tomorrow on the package If that's what was said I post a pic of it
    I make my own cutting edges

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  13. Antlerart06

Last package cost me 4.75 each this was bolt washer and lock nut