1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mvp switch from chevy to ford

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by DGODGR, Feb 1, 2010.

1. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

I bought a used MVP from an auction a couple of years ago. So far it has been siting at the yard because the only ting I have to mount it to is a 4 door, long bed, SRW F350. This truck is a little long for most of my applications and I have been waiting to mount it to whatever I replace it with (hopefully shorter\better turning). I have decided to wait on a new truck so I am looking hard at mounting the MVP to the F350. The plow was mounted on an early 90's Chevy. What do I need to mount it to the Ford? Are there any adapters for the wiring or will I have to buy a new wiring harness? Can these items be found used or will I have to buy new? The plw is 10'-6" wide (with wings). Do I need to use any special set-up or ballast for such a wide plow?

2. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

So far no replies. Come on guys, how about a little help. I would like to try and get his done on my own. The last time I went to the dealer he really hosed me (and I have proof), so I won't be going back there.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What you need specifically depends on whether it's a two plug 12 pin (relay) setup, a two plug 11 pin (multiplex) system with the Iso module, or a three plug with the Iso module. And it can all be a very expensive swap, just depends on what you have.

4. T Deneen

T Deneen Junior Member

I suggest you try a different dealer. You're going to need some help with this one. And it will likely not be cheap. I take a lot of calls from folks who buy used and get a "really good deal" only to find themselves in a jackpot when it comes to installation on a different vehicle.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

And I'd assume that is why he came to us and asked. :waving:

6. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

Thanks for the replies. I'll break out the box and check the connectors to see how many pins are in them. I will get back to you.

7. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Also need to know if it is a relay system, or a mod. If it's a mod, is it a 3 port, or a 4 port.

Also if numbers off the harness would be a help

What year is the truck??

What kind of headlights the truck has (ex HB-5)?

I believe this should be your mount for your ford (link)
    http://www.westernplows.com/pdf/63346_032202.pdf

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  8. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

This is not the correct mount for the plow. Plow is an Ultra Mount.

9. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Thank you.That is what I was trying to find out

Here is the ultra mount
    http://www.westernplows.com/pdfs/64574.01_010109.pdf

Most likely you have a relay system..There should be two or three relays (little small black squares the have 5 prongs)..On the harness should be white tags with "part" numbers on them..

Mods are longer and 3 port might have " A B C" on it........4 Mod should have "1 2 3 4" on it.. They both have input slot for the harness to clip into.

Need to check the plow harness (have pins inside), and count the pins.......either a 9 pin, or a 12 pin..Most likely you should have a 12 pin plow harness..

If the plow harness is a 12 pin, then you will need a 12 pin truck side harness..

Most likely you have HB-5 vehicle hear lights..

Question: do you have DRL (day time running lights)?? So trucks do have a hook up, but the factory usually put a cap on thr DRL harness so they won't work..

Let us know

Here is a electrical part list for the year of your vehicle (mark in red) (If I am wrong about these parts, someone like B&B, Crash or Repo will correct me)

fordmvpharness.jpg

fordmvpharness.jpg

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  10. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

Apologies are in order here. I don't know what I was thinking. As stated before the plow was mounted to a late 80s early 90s Chevy and is going to mount to the F350 (in my sig.) not the 96 Dodge 2500 CTD as said in my last post. Model year 2000. I'm pretty sure that I will have to buy the mounting system that is specific to my vehicle. The main question I have is:
    Are there adapters to make it so that the Chevy harness can work with the Ford electrical system, or do have to buy a new harness (which basically means that I will have to buy a complete mounting kit for the truck)? I have the isolation module and all of the components and I would hate for that all to go to waste. I suppose I could just save it in a box and use it for spare parts. Maybe it will come in handy some day since the MVP will be the second Western plow in the fleet. I doubt the parts would get used any time soon though as I have had the 8' Pro Plus for 6 years with no problems so far.
    Thanks and again my apologies.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

So it is an Iso system after all? If thats the case what you'll need to purchase to work on the '00 Ford is the correct headlamp plug in harness(s) and a different Iso module (Ford and GM use different Iso's).

Now to detail it further you'll need to state if it's a 3 port or 4 port Iso, and whether the Ford has 2B (sealed beams) or HB5 (composite) style headlamps to get the correct headlamp plug in harness(s). Simple as that.

12. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

OK. It's time to get this started again. I had to put this project on the back burner for a while, but I am ready to pick it up again. I'm a little confused about your last post B&B. First off, I think the lights are hb-5. When the bulb goes bad I have to twist it out (of the back) of the lens. The wire is connected to the halogen bulb. No sealed lens.
    Second, I am confused because you stated (at the beginning of the post) that I have to replace the ISO module because they don't use the same unit on both trucks. You went on to say that I need to determine if the ISO unit has 4 or 3 plugs. Which unit are you referring to? The one that came with the plow or the one that I will need to buy (that works with the Ford)? I assume the later but confirmation would be appreciated (on both questions please).
    Thanks again for every ones input.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ok the truck has the HB5 headlamps, so that's all clear now. The next thing needed is how many ports are on the Iso module? Will be either 3 or 4. And whichever it is they're also specific for the application and some of the wiring so you want to stay with the same port quantity. So if it's a 4 port then that's what you'll use, if it's a 3 port then that's what you'll stay with. But you still need the CORRECT 3 or 4 port Iso and the correct headlight adapters for your truck whether it's 3 or 4 port. And for a '00 Ford with HB5's.......

If it's a 3 port you'll need...

29050- Headlamp adapter harness
    29070- 3 port isolation module

And if it's a 4 port you'll need...

26354-Plug-In Harness HB-5, Long
    26349-Plug-In Harness HB-5, Short
    26400- 4 port isolation module

Simple as that as long as your descriptions are accurate. :salute: