1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MVP question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by toyman, Feb 3, 2008.

1. toyman

toyman Senior Member

I have a new to me MVP plow. Worked great for the first time I used it, however, there seems to be oil coming from the tank. It even appears that it sprayed my windshield. What could cause this, I read through a bunch of the posts trying to find something similar but did not see much. Anybody have any ideas. Could the cap/breather be plugging with snow while plowing? I was stacking snow fairly high. Snow was coming over the plow occasionally.

Thanks for the help. Toyman

2. toyman

toyman Senior Member

Went out and plowed this morning. The plow is still loosing fluid by the vent/fill cap. Should I assume that the cap needs to be replaced?

This is the first Western I have had this problem on, any help would be appreciated.

Toyman

3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

oil

might have to pull the tank to see if the oil sump screens are still on and not aerating the oil .

4. michdeere

michdeere Member

If this is the MVP ultramount version like mine, there is a gray vent cap on the pump/tank assembly. Make sure it hasn't frozen up....unless that's where your oil is coming from. If it is then I'd check out that intake filter/pump aeration theory as posted above.

5. toyman

toyman Senior Member

I will pull the tank tomorrow, I am going to chang the oil anyway.

Toyman

6. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

The New MVP Plus has a GRAY vent cap. Check that that for ice. ALSO, check ALL of your lines. My pump came with 5 leaking fittings which I tightened and two leaking cylinders. Shouldn't spray fluid... I know is has pressure under the cap when I unscrew you can hear a little rush of air.

7. toyman

toyman Senior Member

The plow is not new, I think it is an 04. Anyway, I pulled the pump and found the lower of the 3 filters laying in the bottom of the tank. That should do it, reinstalled and filled with new fluid.

Toyman

8. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

filter

should be good to go !