1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MVP Problem

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by EIB, Oct 8, 2003.

1. EIB

EIB Senior Member

I hooked up my MVP today to test it out and ran into a problem.
    It angles left and right fine. It goes up and down fine. Now here comes the rub. When I tested the v mode it runs to scoop fine, but when coming back to V it stutters. So i tried it in wing mode the passenger wing runs in and out fine, but the driver's side goes out fine and stutters on the way back. Also it blows oil out the vent. It is not over filled. It has air bubbles in the oil. Just to let you know it has synthetic AFT in it, that was change toward the end of last plow season. Do I have a valve not working properly?

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

It may just have air in it.Try running it back and forth a bit,then let it sit,and top off the fluid.You may have a seal leaking and it sucked in some air over the summer.

3. EIB

EIB Senior Member

wyldman,

I just went out to check the fluid. It was a little low, so I topped it off. I tested it again and it did the same thing. I don't know why it is blowing oil out the vent. Something is causing it to build pressure in the tank, to blow the oil out the vent.

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Trapped air will do that.Sometimes it's very hard to get it out.You could retract the offending cylinder,and then loosen the line while someone moves the controls to force fluid (and hopefully the air),out of the line.Stay well out of the way when doing this so you don't get pinched by the plow just in case.

If that doesn't do it,then it may be something else.I'd eliminate the possibility of air first.

5. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

One thing that came to my mind was the little screen filter that is on the pickup for the pump. I'm not sure about the MVP's, but I know there is on the red motor/pumps. I dismissed that since it seems to be running fine to do everything else. Perhaps there is a problem with that cylinder, like something caught in the hose or one of the valves?

synthetic motor oil has cleaning agents in it, doesn't it? COuld it have loosened something in the system, and clogged the hydraulic line?

I think if it still has the problem after following Chris' advice, I would take the line off of the cylinder, and hold it into a bucket, while having someone control it to fold that wing back. It should have a good flow of fluid, it not, that might help eliminate the cylinder as being the problem :confused:

6. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

there was an issue with the v's with blowing off the aerator screen on the return side which caused excessive air in the system. The only way to tell is by removing the tank.

7. EIB

EIB Senior Member

Thanks guys I will look into those things tomorrow, and let you know.

8. EIB

EIB Senior Member

Crash935,

You're right about the aerator screen coming off. I took the tank off today and it was laying at the bottom. So I'm going to put an new clamp on both lines. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

What have you done to correct the problem Crash935?

9. Crash935

EIB, pretty much just put new clamps on the hoses. How old is your plow? There was an issue with the pickup tube also, something about sub-manufacture decided to make a change in tolerances and material. Will check the service bullitens to see what the deal was and will let you know tomorow evening so wait to put it back together if you havent. Jeff

10. EIB

EIB Senior Member

Jeff,

I put new screw clamps on it and put it back together. I have a plastic pickup tube with a screen.

Everett

11. Crash935

Everett, There was a service bulletin on the pick up tubes. (bulletin # SP-749 dated april 15, 2002) Some tubes were made to small and are black in color. If the pickup tube comes off, dont reinstall, get a replacement. It is not a recall situation but western recommends replacement if the power unit is apart for service. Something to keep in mind if the pick up tube comes off.

12. EIB

EIB Senior Member

Thanks Jeff,

I will keep that in mind. I haven't hooked the plow back up to test it yet. It is on my to do list for tomorrow.

Everett