1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MVP poly vs. MVP steel

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by firedawg1983, Aug 24, 2014.

1. firedawg1983

firedawg1983 Member

Hey everyone l'm looking at getting another plow for my 05 F250. Had an 09 8 1/2 MVP steel plow for it but found a decent priced 8 1/2 poly MVP. Can I get pros and cons of the poly? Any info/feedback is appreciated

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Hello.......

3. firedawg1983

firedawg1983 Member

Sorry snowguy73 had to edit it

4. SnowGuy73

Haha!

I figured you bumped submit!

5. SnowGuy73

Poly is nice because snow doesn't stick as much, also it looks better longer as long as it doesn't fade to pink.

Otherwise they weigh close to the same and operate nearly the same.

6. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

What he said

7. firedawg1983

firedawg1983 Member

Yeah I've seen them fade quick. So basically snow is going to roll off it a lot better. Is the material just weaker than steel? Meaning can the poly crack or break?

8. SnowGuy73

The wet, spring snow won't stick to the moldboard.

I've never heard of the poly cracking, its pretty thick.

9. firedawg1983

firedawg1983 Member

Sounds good! Thanks for the input guys! Price for a poly about the same as a steel?

10. SnowGuy73

Couldn't tell you, I'm guessing more.

11. mike6256

mike6256 Senior Member

Firedawg, we run both poly and steel westerns and there are some advantages as listed above I still prefer the poly overall. It is the exact same frame and if you have a poly and for some reason would like steel you can re-skin it with steel no issue. I have never had one crack, they do fade some and get some scratches but nothing terrible.

12. firedawg1983

firedawg1983 Member

I didn't know you could reskin them! That's great! Yeah I'm not worried about cosmetic issues. I was planning on buying a new steel mvp this year and found a gentleman selling a new poly one and will probably give the poly a shot

13. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

Poly is higher priced than steel. it works great, and yes the only difference is the skins themselves, which are interchangeable.

14. firedawg1983

firedawg1983 Member

Great! Thanks nealybird!!!