1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mvp Plus

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by skferreri, Mar 12, 2008.

1. skferreri

skferreri Senior Member

I have a new mvp plus by western.My concern is that everytime i get back from plowing that there is there is a coating of hydro fluid all over my pump.Not a lot just enough to cover the top of the pump by the vent cap.Talked to my dealer and he said that it was normal just as long as it was not leaving puddles.Any body have the same problems.

2. NootDogg

NootDogg Senior Member
    from WI

Yes we habe the same problem. That comes from when you are in scoop or stright and the wing collapses due to hitting a bank or heavy snow. We check our fluid about every other time out. All that is is a breather cap. Just keep an eye on it so if there is a puddle then you have a problem. Hope that helps you.

3. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Not having that problem. The first few plows I was tightening hoses from leaks.

What I do is put the plow on somewhat flat ground, vee position and collapse the lift cylinder. Then I check the fluid. If it's right at the thread of the side filler hole ( not the vent cap ) then it's good.

4. NootDogg

NootDogg Senior Member
    from WI

Hey Scott, We were told with the new MVP you are only supposed to collapse the lift cylinder, not vee it.

5. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Not what I've been told from two different installer companies and a few folks on this site who I'd say are very knowledgeable. ( I didn't see it in my book any where )

If you think about it.. when you put the plow into it's vee mode and collapse the top cylinder the tank has to hold all the fluid which was just pushed from the cylinders.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

:nod:

Even though the MVP's use double acting wing cylinders, the extension side of the cylinders hold a greater volume of fluid, so you want the extension side of the cyl to be collapsed in order to end up with the maximum quantity of fluid back to the reservoir for a accurate fluid level check. Which would mean you want the wings fully retracted.

A little fluid misting out the vent isn't uncommon on the DD version V plows though..