1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MVP Plus

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by concreteguy, Feb 5, 2015.

1. concreteguy

concreteguy Senior Member

My MVP Plus has been acting up lately. It'll work fine then stop working. You press the control buttons enough, it'll start working again. When it stopped working, I tried a different controller, still didn't work. I put a different plow on the truck, and no problems. I read on here similar issues, and it seems it's the motor or relay. When it stops working, how do I test to isolate either one. When it does stop and I pressing the controller, I hear the relay clicking. I guess it think that's what I hear.
    Thanks, Tom
  2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Most likely it is the solenoid/relay. When not working you can test the output side of solenoid to make sure it is your issue.
  3. concreteguy

I'll check for power on the output side of the relay
  4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Could be the relay or the motor. Pull the cover off the driver's side of the plow. Put a test light on the two big lugs on the relay. One will be hot all the time and the other should only be hot when the relay clicks. If the second lug lights up your test light then you motor is the problem.
  5. concreteguy

Obviously only when the plow acts up, correct
  6. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Both the motor relay and the motor can fail intermittently so yes you have to test it when it's failing. You could just put a new relay in as they are cheap and then if it still fails it's pretty certain it's a motor.
    In the past I have installed a light to the motor lugs and ran it into the cab and told the op to watch when it failed. If the light came on when it clicked but motor didn't spin then it's the motor, if relay clicks but no light then it's relay.
  7. concreteguy

Smart, hopefully I can remember that one. All too often when problems arise, we tend to forget to think outside the box
  8. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Nice! That's a good idea.