1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MVP Plus

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by cpmi, Feb 28, 2011.

1. cpmi

cpmi Senior Member
    from CT

Hey guys-I am in the process of picking up a new to me truck and am seriously considering changing from the Meyer and Fisher's that I have to a Western-basically because my closet dealer doesn't carry Fisher anymore and is considering going down the same road with Meyer.
    Anyway-the plow I am considering is a 9.5 MVP Plus-I have read through the threads on here-I realize everything breaks and the quality control isn't there like it was years ago. This goes for all the plow manufacturer's from what I have been reading. With that being said-I would like some feedback from those of you who use a Western V plow commercially-would you buy another? Likes/dislikes etc.-
    Thanks in advance for the comments-
  2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Say I love mine doesn t fold back under a big load like other vplows only thing I don t like is the price of the cutting edge I found out i make my own useing 5/8 steel make 8 inches tall i can run 2 my edges for price of one western edge mine wear twice as long back drags snow better to
    only problems had with mine srcews on pump came loose so now i check all screws
  3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

the 2 we have have been bullet proof so far. a leak here or there but no major problems. over the years we have sold a ton of them with no major problems other than the normal small issues.
  4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

At my shop we sell quite a few MVPs and MVP plus. Compared to the trouble we have had this year with the wide-outs both MVPs have been very good out of the box. Very important to have your builder use graphite grease or at the very least some anit-sieze on the main blade pin and the pivot pins. That helps a lot as there are no grease zerks. Also check all the ORB fittings to ensure they are tight. The lock nuts on those 90 degree elbows come loose too often.

One other point... you said MVP.... I would go with the MVP plus because it is multiplexed. That means the control signal is like a radio thing. Each function has a frequency that is sent down a single wire and then decoded in the plow. Less wires, less connections to go bad and it's the same mount, cables and controller for the wide-out so you could pick up / borrow / steal and use a wide-out without any changes to the truck. The MVP cable is only good for that one plow and it's a three cable hookup where the plus is only two cables. When it's 40 below I hate hooking up anything extra.