1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mvp Plus wiring problems

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Case 445, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Case 445

Case 445 Junior Member
    from Iowa

Just put on a MVP Plus on 95 Chevy 2500 and the driver side turn lamp dont work when lights are on. If you turn the lights off it works, plus if you step on the brakes the driver side lamp gets bright but no flash. NEED HELP PLEASE!!!

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

You spliced into the wrong wire when installing your harness......

3. Case 445

Case 445 Junior Member
    from Iowa

Would that cause the turn lamp to get bright when you step on the brakes? It dont flash just gets bright. It seems like the plow lights are really dim on low beam too..

4. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I'm afraid to say you need to go back and re do your splicing and connections.

The brakes have absolutely nothing what so ever to do with your plows wiring. If the brake lights are bleeding into your operation, it is do to a wrong splice. The simple solution to this is that you spliced the wrong wire when installing your plow's headlamp harness into your truck.

Have you made any alterations to you factories wiring before? Trailer wiring perhaps? Is it possible that you spliced a brake wire in with a turn signal wire before?

As far as the lights being dim....I would think a loose connection and or a bad ground. Un plug all your connections and plug them back in nice and tight from the headlamps all the way to the ISO, than make sure your ring terminals are tight at the relay as well.

Is this a 3 port or 4 port......?

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I agree with checking the tie in connections. When I install I turn on the 4 way flashers and the park lights. Then I use a test light with a pointy probe to poke the wires on the back of the signal / markers. Of course there is a ground (should not light up) the signal (will flash with the signal) and the marker (will light up continuously). Read the writting on the wires (if it is a late model headlamp harness) and connect the wires as they are labeled. As you describe things I tend to wonder if you don't have a bad ground somewhere too. When brightness of lamps changes I lean toward a bad ground feedback loop. If there is a bad ground sometimes power will feedback and go through another lamp and then to ground. I hope that the lights worked before you connected the plow... But the brake lights effect is wierd. There are no brake lamps in the front end of the truck to connect to in error. That is very strange.

6. Case 445

Case 445 Junior Member
    from Iowa

It is a 3 port. I found out why the low beam lights were dim because of the wire harness has a A side and a B side, i had one of them switched around. But i still have a problem with the driver side turn lamp. Works fine if the lights are off but when you turn the lights on it just gets bright and dont flash. It is very weird because it works some times just fine. I double check all my connections and they seem to be right.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like an issue with the socket or bulb itself. If this was a brand new plow, I've seen a few come with the wrong bulbs installed in them. :confused:

8. mishnick

If the problem comes and goes intermitantly then it won't be the bulb as the bulb does work sometimes. Since you have the 3 port iso module then you could try flipping the signal configuration plug near the module. It's just a small plug with a blue and green wire on both side. If you unplug it and flip it over the signals will switch so that the right plow signal flashes with the left truck is activated and so on. Use this as a diagnostic test to see if the problem follows the signal or stays with the lamp assembly. If the problem still happens only on the driver's side then open up the lamp assembly and examine the wiring there. If the driver's side signal gets bright when the park lights are on is sounds like there is an intermitant connection (short) between the signal wire and the park light feed. When the park lights come on both the marker lamp fillament and the signal fillaments are activated making it appear brighter. When the signal comes on it makes no difference because that fillament is already active. If the problem switches to the passenger side when you flip those wires then the problem is on the vehicle side. Look again at the point where you tied into the marker lights and the signal. One side connects to both while the other side only ties into the signal. Go to the side where you tied into both and see that the connections are good and that they are insolated from each other. If they touch there, again, both the signal and marker would come on when the markers are activated.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You've obviously never experienced a loose bulb filament.

10. mishnick

A loose bulb fillament flopping around inside the bulb could do this, that is true but most fillimament problems are simple burn outs which create an open causing the one lamp to go out not get brighter. Of course it is also possible that the wrong bulb was installed at the factory but that would create a consistant problem, not an intermittant one. Still the theory of a bad bulb is possible but I have never experienced that result in my time as a mechanic since 1977. Now I am curious to know what the problem really turns out to be. It's a good thing to be wrong once in a while.... how else does a fellow learn?

11. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Is there a turn signal "configuration" plug????

It between "B"/"C"

12. Case 445

Case 445 Junior Member
    from Iowa

Well i talked to my Western dealer where i bought it and they are going send me a new isolation module. Hope that fixes the problem. I will keep ya posted! Thanks for the help!

13. Case 445

Case 445 Junior Member
    from Iowa

Well i got my new isolation module put in and the problem is fixed! Everything is workin as it should. Thanks for the help!