1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MVP Plus W/Wings vs Wideout for F-550?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by LawnProLandscapes, Jan 25, 2010.

what western plow would you put on F-550

1. Western Wideout

12 vote(s)
  2. Western 9.5 MVP Plus With Western Wings

14 vote(s)
  3. Other Brand ( if so post what youd choose)

3 vote(s)
  1. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

hopefully picking up an 03 f-550 within the week and am in limbo about what plow for it. it comes with a 9' stainless x blade that i am going to finish season with then sell. was originally planning on getting wideout for srw f-350 but am concerned the f-550 will be too much truck for wide out and am considering a 9'6" mvp plus with western wings instead. (price difference new from dealer is a 100 between the to so thats not a problem)

if it were you what would you throw on it, or would you chose a different blade.
  2. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

Idk if you like fisher but I'd try a fisher wideout they seem pretty heavy duty.
  3. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

For an F550 the Wideout is too small. Full Size Blizzard 8611 would be my choice.
  4. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

5. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

i would put a wideout on it and add a set of pro wings to it looks very simple to do, As soon as my warranty is up I'm going to add them to mine

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I havent had a chance to use it yet cause we dont have snow here right now but I just bought an 8 ft 6 mvp plus and I have a set of wings. I also have a wideout.
    I had them both sitting beside eachother the wideout extended and the v in v with the wings and the v looks like it will carry alot more snow a longer distance. I think the western wings might even fit on the wideout... but I think that would be alot of stress on the wideout wings. A 9 ft 6 with wings would forsure take more then a wideout.
  7. AA+ Landscaping

AA+ Landscaping Senior Member

We run a western vee 9.5 ft. You won't have any problem with running western's wings they only add around 10in. per side. :nod:
  8. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

It's more like 6" per side.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  9. AA+ Landscaping

AA+ Landscaping Senior Member

Yea they need to make ones around 2 ft per side!!!!!!!!!!!!
  10. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Why would you want to sell the XV??

I gotta ask you what is the line of thinking were you would want to sell and XV to buy another plow?? If the 9 1/2' isnt wide enough of course Fisher makes some of the nicest extensions on the market,that you can put on and off in a few minutes, and you would have nearly 11' when you slap them on both sides??? I am really not following the thinking on this one??? Do you just want a different brand?? or what is the reason you would want to get into changing everthing around?? to switch to a different plow???:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:
  11. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

Power wing blades are faster !!!!!! your 5500 needs a wideout or bigger !!!! if you travel the 9.5 MVP with wings gets to be a pain..... just my opinion......

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I'd do the V. I guess the only potential problem would be width going down the road.
  13. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

i prefer the wideout as you can scoop and carry easier than a v. but a vee is better is deep/drifty snow.

Wideout, what part of iowa are you from, i would love to see one in persone in the dsm area as i want to get one.
  14. exmark

exmark Senior Member

Hey wahlturfcare ive only seen two or three i think in the dsm area. I think by next year were going to see a bunch popping up i just talked to a guy last week had one for his f.350 said he loved it and its perfect for his residential drives.
  15. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have both an 810 blizzard and a MVP 8'6" with wings. If you have a lot of windroeing to do the blizzard will move more snow then the MVP. You will also have to take the trailing wing off to move more snow. If you need to carry snow to specific locations the MVP will carry more snow with the wings. Putting the wings on and off during the night for different applications is a PITA for me.
  16. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

you must have mis read the post. it has a 9' x blade, not an xv. if it had the the xv id keep it without a doubt. i dont like straight blades and will never have one unless its a backup plow .
  17. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Oooooops my mistake ..............

yea I think I must have misread it as I thought you already had an XV Stainless plow and was going to take that off and jump thru all the hoops to change over to a standard V and got lost wondering why anyone would ever do that. Good luck with what ever you do and I think if you buy a V and get the detactable wings for the ends you have got about everything covered but that is just a thought . I hope you have good luck with what ever you buy as there is some really nice stuff available nowadays!:salute:
  18. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I think it all depends on your area you live and the type of properties you service. If you have a lot of open lots and do a lot of widroeing like stated then the wideout would be your answer. If you get a lot of deep snow throughout the season then the MVP is the best and you can just add the wings. For where I am located at we get a lot of 2-4 inch snow storms and we do 2-3 acres properties so the wideout is are choice. I dont have either, i just have the two meyer straight polys both with wings. Takes me a minute or so to put the wings on. Can be a pain sometimes but they work very well. I plan on going all fisher and having one truck with the XLS and the other with the 9.6 XV SS, buy the wings for the XV and have the best of both worlds and for those times when we get the deep snow I will have a V that can help break through to start out a lot. Sorry for jacking your thread. Good luck on your decision and keep us updated.
  19. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

Hey wahlturfcare i'm down by fairfield