1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MVP Plus upgrade to MVP 3

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Weaves, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Weaves

Weaves Junior Member

Happy Winter Gentlemen, I was wondering if anyone knows if you can put the new MVP 3 moldboards on an MVP plus frame. I purchased the MVP plus new last year and it works like a champ, I was wondering if the the MVP 3 moldboards would work any better? Any thoughts?

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

No, the pin is larger on the MVP3 1 in vs 1 1/4

3. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

^What he said

4. Weaves

Weaves Junior Member

Thanks for the info. Can both moldboards, center pin and all, be taken off and the MVP 3 wings be put on? Does anyone have any thoughts about upgrading? Is the MVP 3 worth the upgrade from the MVP Plus?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  5. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

With the money you would spend trying to turn your MVP Plus into an MVP3, which I don't think you could. I bet you could trade your plow for less money and Have a new plow. I love my MVP3 by the way.

6. 1olddogtwo

What Ram say 100% right on cost. Best off buying new. The 3 also has a larger lift cylinder and new frame for light tower. The pump and wiring in really the on thing in common.

7. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

yea we've had quite a few guys trade in mvp+'s for mvp3's. they just keep all their truck stuff and trade in plow only.

8. Weaves

Weaves Junior Member

Thanks for the info. About how much on average does it cost to upgrade. I know it depends on the condition of the trade in plow, which is only one year old and in excellent shape. Also, is it worth the additional cost to upgrade? I understand the with the larger center pin and larger lift cylinder on the MVP 3 the durability will be improved, but are they that much better and or necessary as the MVP Plus seems to be a very well built piece of equipment?

9. 1olddogtwo

I just sold mine, put a ton of hours with one minor problem that didn't cost me any down time.

I have both in 9-6 and was very happy with the MVP3. If you need to throw snow, that's the plow you want! If you need to stack, that's the plow you want!

10. Weaves

Weaves Junior Member

Does anyone have a price estimate on switching out the Plus for the 3? If the truck side stuff will work, what are we thinking for a new frame and plow set up? What would a 1 1/2 year old gently used MVP Plus bring for a trade in / sale? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

11. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I don't see what the big deal is with MVP3 over the +. Same mount, control, wiring, lights etc. the only differance I see is the blade is bigger on the outside, the centre pin is larger and the lift ram is bigger. Stainless steel won't rust, that's great but has anyone considered that stainless "work hardens" and is likely to crack more than regular steel? Has anyone considered how expensive SS repair parts will be? Or how much more it will cost to weld SS? Also know that SS bolts may not rust but they seize, strip and break more frequently than regular steel.
    And I am wondering why people think this shape pushes or stacks any better than the +. It looks to me like snow would spill over the short centre when stacking. It appears to me that people just want this plow because it's new and different looking. People with big egos need to have the newest and shiniest. But is it really worth spending the money to upgrade from a perfectly good MVP+ when the only noticeable difference will b a more powerful lift cylinder?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  12. 1olddogtwo

13. mishnick

Still doesn't appear to plow any better than any regular steel MVP+. So why trade in a one year old MVP+ for the SS version or the 3 for that matter?

14. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Looks. Ego

They say it throws farther

15. mishnick

Well now we r getting some honest answers. If I had too much money and got paid to have pretty equipment I would buy two right now! But I get paid to move snow and fix plows. I have never had a customer ask me to bring a pretty plow, they just want their lot cleared. .

16. 1olddogtwo

After owning both, I would say the 3 throws more and backblades better cause of weight. I also found it easier to see.

actually it felt weird backtracking Against parking blocks and walks when I 1st got it. Thought wing was up on it cause of the height and slope.

And Yes the 3 in SS is a badass looking plow. My SS should be sold off by end of month. I may just order one if I plow again next season.

17. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

It's gotten sad how much plows are going for. $7k for a plow? Pretty soon we'll be paying 10k

It's made me look Long and hard at snow dogg. We don't get a lot of snow here but enough to make enough to get through winter.

But my friend just traded his mvp in for a new ultra 2 pro plus. With a rubber edge.
    That plow is beefy as hell

18. 05ram

05ram Member

Dose the snow stick any less on a stainless blade without any special treatment?

19. 1olddogtwo

obviously we all have different overheads. Mine is almost non existence. My fuel is free, I replace the truck almost ever year. Plow every other year on avg. The MVP3 plowside I bought in November was 4200 and a complete tax write off. Sold it close to what I paid for it. I still have my SS Vee with some nice offers on it.

My commercial insurance is my only real expense and that is cheap. Think its up 650.00 a year.

I'm paid a good minute rate too.

Will I buy a SS MVP3, most likely. Hell I still have a set of black wings for one.

20. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Why do You go through trucks so much? Idle time?

Do you ever miss the wideouts?