1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MVP plus ultramount won't slide on truck

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by joshua74133, Jan 15, 2015.

1. joshua74133

joshua74133 Junior Member
    from tulsa

So I tried pulling up to hook the plow to the truck and it's not sliding on... thinking maybe i was not bumping it hard enough I rammed it (I rammed the heck out of it) and it's still not sliding on so I got a strap hooked it to both tow hooks and it slid back with little effort and I hooked the plow to truck.... so I then wanted to see if I could unhook the plow and nope now it does not want to slide off... so I tied a strap to the plow and a post and back up and it slid off.... anyone know how to fix this? I have watched YouTube videos and it looks so easy.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Did you lower the lift ram all the way? Sometimes lubing the receivers work

3. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

If it came off a different truck the height might need to be adjusted. When it's dismounted put a floor jack under it and loft it up. Then push down on the two legs making it taller. I had the same issue.

4. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I always spray both sides (plow and truck) with alot of WD40 when I put the plow on; never had a problem since I've been doing that. I was mainly having an issue getting the plow off.

5. joshua74133

from tulsa

For got to put that in my post I greased the hell out of it now it's gross to even bump it walking by it.... thanks ne1 do I need to un bolt anything?

6. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Grease may be too thick; I'd clean off as much as you can and use something slick like WD40.

7. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Also.....if the plow is on a slippery surface, the truck may just push it back instead of forcing the plow into the truck receiver brackets. I know that I can get the plow on easier when it's on my rough driveway as opposed to the smooth floor in the garage.

8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Change in rear weight will also throw the angle off.

9. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

You need to look at the truck side mount and see if it is bent. When I mount a plow I install all mount the bolts loosly and then place my gauge stick between the two mounts. Then, if needed, I put a pipe clamp on to draw them together so their distance is correct. Finally, while holding the mounts, I tighten all the bolts which actually bends some of the tabs securing the mount to the frame. When all bolts are tight I pull the gauge stick out. The installation manual specifies that the mounts must be 30-7/16" inside to inside, give or take 1/8". See page 6 of this link:
    http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdffiles/64557.02_120114.pdf
    I don't know what truck you have so I just picked a random one. All mounts have the same dimiension in this regard though so your truck will be the same. If you have a mount with the cross bar that goes from left mount to right you can probably loosen the four bolts and use eithe a portapower to spread (if too close) or a pipe clamp to bring them together (if they are spread) and then retighten the cross bar bolts.

Another thing to look at is the horns on your plow. I have seen plows that have been abused or involved in a front end collision, with the plow mounted, where the plow horns are cockeyed. Bothe the horns on the plow and the mounts have to be straight and the correct distance apart.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  10. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

For what it's worth, this clip shows a guy putting his plow on if it helps you any

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CGcfitfTcCA

I've never had an issue with the difference in height due to having bsllast in or not. I just pull up and make sure the tip of the plow horns is at least starting to go into the truck receiver (I get out and tip the headgear a bit) before I give it the gas and drive into it

11. 1olddogtwo

If I drop with empty tanks (200 gals diesel) and try to hook up full I find the truck is slightly lower and I have to tip the forks down and it will get in enough to rotate the hooks to catch the receivers

12. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

I always remove plows when the salters are empty.. frount ride height will change... i also got in the habbit of jaming the brakes before contact thus settling the front end down..

13. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

If this all of a sudden has happened then something changed. Truck side could be tweeked, but most likely the height of the truck somehow changed. Either the plow was set up for another truck, or you changed the weight of what's in the truck to change the height. It doesn't take much to throw it off. My duramax had the same problem.

14. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I have no trouble coupling up to my Wide-out with my 550. Even if the truck is loaded differently from uncouple to couple I would just line up the horns and then give the truck gas until it hit home and started pushing the plow on the ground. When it is hard to uncouple you can't blame it on the elevation because you can push the support legs down until they hit the ground regardless of elevation. Something is bent.

15. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

The feet still don't change the angle. Both my wideout and mvp had issues.

16. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Did put plow in float and push ram down to loosen the chains ?
    when you drop the feet down did push the feet down to the ground

And is the parking spot level??
    I know in front of my shop its slope and it wont come off to easy unless I pop the clutch with Auto I find unhooking it in straight mode works the best on the same slope of my parking areas in front my shop.

Hook it up goes on same way

17. 1olddogtwo

A 550 no suspension movement, I have load a few tons on ours to move a inch.

18. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I used to have a hard time getting mbe on and off. What I do now is put in float push ram down, pull pin and rotate the foot to the group, step on it to set it. Next I push the headgear towards the truck, you will notice the foot/stand is about an inch off of the ground, I push it down tight to the ground again. Repeat for the other side then undo the wiring.

This seems to take the weight off of the plow receivers so there is very little friction between the revivers and the horns of the plow.

Before doing this I usually had to take a pry bar and get the plow to slide out about an inch otherwise I would just pull the plow backwards. Same thing hooking up it would just slide on the shop floor.

Hope this helps

19. joshua74133

from tulsa

The plow is used and this was my first time to hook it to the truck... after looking at it yesterday it looks like the horns are slightly pointing up and when I ram it they are hitting the inside top of the shoes and getting lodged. So I took a car jack and put it under the front of the plow pumped 1 time (enough to change the angle of the horns) and the plow slid right on. So the only option I can think to do is unhook my mount take some scrap metal and put a small 1/2 shim (which should make the plow shoes angle down just a hair) enough to keep the plow from bunching up allowing it to slide on and off. Thoughts??? Hell of a lot of work but I'd rather not freeze my ace off wrestling with this thing when it's snowing and 20 degrees out.

20. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I would think that the headgear would have enough play in it (ie: able to push it forward or back) enough to just adjust it by hand. Make sure the ram is all if the way down (leave the engine running, put the plow in float, then push down on the ram until it's all of the way down).

Might be that your lift chains are too tight/short. Lengthen them by a link just to see if that helps you.